Misha has moved out of her cage at night

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

While Misha was recovering from her gland issue last week, there was no way she could sleep in her cage. The hood wouldn't get through the door. Also, I needed her nearby so I could stop her from attempting to lick her wound. For the week she slept on my bed in her blanket. I tried to get her to sleep in her bed on the floor, but she was incredibly needy and persistent.

I decided that maybe it is time to "graduate" her. One of the reasons that we crated her at night was so my Mom could have privacy in the morning. She gets up at 6am and I don't. LOL She likes her hour and a half alone before the household is up. Plus, when we first moved here Misha got into a lot of trouble. It was a way to make sure she didn't do anything in the wee hours of the morning when no one was watching.

Misha is 3 1/2 now. She has gotten through her behavioral issues, so it seems like it's time.

This is her first week without medications, so it's been a little different. She's a little confused where to go even though I've set up her tent with her bed and favorite blanket just like in her cage. We've had a couple of nights of running around the house at midnight.

But, she seems to be getting the idea. She stands on top of me for a couple of minutes, then lays at my side. But, after about 5 minutes, she gets cold and she crawls in her blankets. So far, she has stayed there until I get up in the morning.

Looks like she is growing up!

Where does your dog sleep?

Melody, Jan 31, 2013
  2. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Awwww. She's growing up!

And ours has free reign, so he sleeps in various places. It usually depends on who is home and where they're sleeping. He may sleep beside various beds or in one of his few beds around the house. He's on the older side and sleeps a fair bit throughout the day, too. He doesn't usually cause any issues. :)

Jessi, Feb 1, 2013
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Dogs are like children. They grow up so fast:p
    Homer sleeps where he wants - but every family member has his own bedroom and we close the doors so Homer can't sleep with us. He usually sleeps on his couch, he has a big and soft pillow there, it's his favorite place:D

claudine, Feb 1, 2013
  4. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

Our dog doesn't sleep in a crate but he does sleep on his bed in our bedroom. I like that because if we have company he won't wander in on them during the night. He can be a little creepy at night if he wants something. You'll wake up and he'll just be sitting by the bed looking at you!

MakingCents, Feb 2, 2013
  5. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

She is adapting fairly well. I've set up her tent to be her own little burrow. In fact, she has been disappearing to it during the day. Maybe I have made it too comfortable. I thought at first there were too many blankets and she wouldn't be able to breath, but she likes it this way. The tent is open on one end and has mesh on the other, so air does get in.

We are still adapting at night. Before, I would close her in, then go on to do my stuff in peace. Now I must contend with a little dog who thinks if I am sitting on the edge of my bed it means it is time to wrestle.

Last night, she insisted on a neck massage when I got into bed. I did so for a minute or two then made her lay down. She curled up next to my side for awhile. But, sure enough, after a couple minutes I felt her shiver and shake and she crawled into her tent.

What's good is she waits for me to wake up. She doesn't come out until I stir. Though, this morning she didn't want to come out at all. All she did was poke her nose out for several minutes. LOL

Melody, Feb 3, 2013
  6. Melody

MakingCents Well-Known Member

I love that about my dog too. He sleeps pretty much through the night until I wake him up. Other dogs I've had are bugging you to get out of bed at 5 in the morning. But my sweet boy now lets his mama sleep!

MakingCents, Feb 5, 2013
  7. Melody

shdws Well-Known Member

That's great news Melody! My dog sleeps in a Kennel but he seems to hate it. I'm trying some things to get him to like it, suggested by some people on this forum.

shdws, Feb 6, 2013
Ask a Question