Miami Bad Dog Registry

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I'm curious what you guys think of this. Miami has given the go ahead for a "bad dog" registry. The registry will be kept by Animals Services. A photo of the dog and your address will be posted online.

While I think it might be in the public interest to know of a dog that has had multiple problems, I think this has the potential for legal abuse. What would stop a person from looking up a dog in the database, then faking a dog bite? Having your address online would make it too easy for them to get some background information to make up a story. It would be your word against theirs. Since the dog already has a mark on its record, the fake victim might be believed. It would, at least, cause someone headaches.

http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21008691484118/dangerous-dog-website-approved/

Melody, Oct 3, 2012
  2. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oy, I'm really torn on this one. I think it's important to know that some have had multiple issues and maybe letting the neighborhood know would be a good thing.... But putting info online like that? Publicly putting out addresses to anyone who wants them? I think that just opens it up to problems.

Jessi, Oct 3, 2012
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

I agree that it has the potential for the abuse. It would be so much better if the owners were just more responsible - there are so many irresponsible dog owners - and really watch over their 'bad dogs'. This registry isn't really a solution in my opinion.

claudine, Oct 3, 2012
  4. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the potential for abuse. It seems like once you make addresses know you are opening people up for harassment.

Having said that, I agree with Claudine that it would be great if people were more responsible. Today, I had to avoid two streets because people's dogs were out. It makes me angry that I need to be on the look out in such a quiet neighborhood. It's as if people just don't get that their dog might cause a problem or it could get hurt while roaming around freely.

Melody, Oct 3, 2012
  5. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Well, at least they got one thing right. He says, "I don't believe in bad dogs, only bad owners".

I think if they leave it to the animal services, then it could work. As long as no private individual will have sufficient power to change the website's data.

Now, if only they could also work out a website for trigger happy cops who keep on killing dogs aimlessly because of their assumption that every dog is going to attack them.

haopee, Oct 4, 2012
  6. Melody

pilot2fly Well-Known Member

I don't know about this. There are many instances where dogs are considered "bad" when they're just defending their territory or owners. They need to look more into this.

pilot2fly, Oct 5, 2012
  7. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Pilot2fly, that is another issue. How do they discern which are bad dogs and which were just in a situation? If they were counting something like neighbor complaints, I could see that as being helpful.

Haopee, yes, that would be good! There was a sad case in Oakland, CA last year. There was a call about a possible robbery. The police officer opened a gate and was met by an Golden Retriever. I think it was 10 or 11 years old. He shot and killed it. They never said that the dog attacked him or another. It seems to me that there could have been some other way to deal with it.

Melody, Oct 5, 2012
Ask a Question