Mentally Challenged Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by King Browny, Apr 17, 2012.

1. King Browny

King Browny Well-Known Member

I never thought there could be a mentally challenged or retarded dog but there’s this blog that I follow that wrote a personal anecdote about it written in a very comical way.

...I was supposed to show her a biscuit, let her sniff it, then - after making sure she was watching - place the biscuit on the ground and put a plastic cup over it. If she knocked over the cup to get the biscuit within a certain amount of time, she'd pass the test.

I put the biscuit under the cup and started the timer.

My dog ran over to the cup and sniffed it. She walked around it once and then looked up at me like I was some sort of wizard. I pointed to the cup. I knew it was cheating, but I wanted to help my dog pass her test.

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/07/dog.html

King Browny, Apr 17, 2012
  2. King Browny

kinser Well-Known Member

That's funny! When my rott/lab was puppy, I could tell he was really smart in comparison to any other dog I'd owned. I found a test online about how to test a dog's IQ, and he passed with flying colors (I went around joking that my dog was a genius; he really did score at a "genius" level, LOL). The tests all had to do with the dog's problem solving abilities, such as the one one described above. Just as with people, dogs are all different and have varying intelligence levels. However, smart dogs can be a pain in the butt if you don't keep them mentally stimulated, so a stupid dog might indeed be a better pet for some people!

kinser, Apr 18, 2012
  3. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

Maybe that dog was just asking for her owner's permission to get that biscuit under the cup.
    We have a dog that will never eat a biscuit or food still placed inside a plastic or container even it was placed on the floor. Since he thinks that it was not really given to him already. ;)

zararina, Apr 19, 2012
  4. King Browny

King Browny Well-Known Member

Maybe but it's not at all like that. You should read the whole of it the author had written more about the 'simple dog' (that's what she calls her) and although she may be exaggerating at some point to make her readers laugh, I think her dog shows certain behavior that’s unusual for normal dogs that gives her the idea. And also, there’s really a test meant to check if your dog is normal or mentally challenged which she administered to her dog. Because there have been some cases of mentally retarded dogs, awareness about this could help an owner to treat his/her dog better if it’s showing unusual behaviors or is less smart or hard to manage than the others.

King Browny, Apr 20, 2012
  5. King Browny

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I read through the entire article in the link. The only conclusion that I can come to is that the author had a super intelligent dog. It's the stupid dog that mindlessly follows its master's instructions. It takes a really intelligent dog to make a monkey of its master, so to say.

Victor Leigh, Apr 22, 2012
  6. King Browny

dkramarczyk Well-Known Member

Wow. I learn something new everyday. I never knew that there were dogs challenged mentally. I suppose it's very possible. I think it would take a lot of work taking care of a dog that is mentally challenged.

dkramarczyk, Apr 22, 2012
  7. King Browny

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Maybe a little bit more work. Definitely can't be any more work than living with mentally challenged people. After all, dogs don't run for public office.

Victor Leigh, Apr 23, 2012
  8. King Browny

zararina Well-Known Member

LOL agrees with it.
    Let dog be dogs then.LOL again :p

zararina, Apr 23, 2012
Ask a Question