Mating

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Trellum, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on mating? I've been wondering about this lately, since my girls were on heat recently, and I thought of finding them two boyfriends of their own breed for them to mate with them. But this makes me wonder... how many times should female and male dogs mate in their lifetime?

I ask this because my granma had a french poodle that never mated (she wouldn't allow her because she didn't want puppies there). As the dog aged (female) she started to get sick; her ''breasts'' started swelling and changing of colour... like she had bruises all over her belly :( The vet told them it was because she never got the chance to mate!

Trellum, Nov 1, 2013
  2. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

I had no idea that dogs can get sick because of it:( I hope that it won't happen to Homer! Usually, he ignores female dogs. My father once introduced him to a female Yorkie, it was a cute Yorkie date:D We thought that maybe there will be puppies. Unfortunately, Homer seemed not to know what to do and gave up quickly:(

claudine, Nov 6, 2013
  3. Trellum

Aww, I hope it works differently for males, but I heard they do feel some stress because of it. Was that yorkie on heat? Sometimes when they're just starting, the male dog doesn't feel like approaching the female that much. My old schanuzer dog seemed to be that kind of dog, it took him a while to finally mount the female we got for him! I think 5 or 6 days!

Trellum, Nov 7, 2013
  4. Trellum

Yes, I think that the female yorkie was on heat. Well, maybe they weren't meant to be together, lol. Maybe Homer is just picky when it comes to relationships:p
    On the other hand, if he had more time, maybe he would get interested in her, like your old schnauzer dog.

claudine, Nov 7, 2013
  5. Trellum

Yeah, sometimes even if the female is on heat the dog won't instantaneously jump over her, well, at least not mine ;) You know what's the most odd thing for me about this matter? The fact my mini schnauzer was rescued by me from a breeder, so this dog was actually used for breeding, but he took his sweet time to do it (it seems) lol. Sometimes even the experts need some time to do their magic ;)

Trellum, Nov 7, 2013
  6. Trellum

Maybe it just wasn't so exciting for him anymore, lol:p Also, I think that dogs have their preferences. Homer seems to be attracted to female dogs bigger than him and much older. The one that we wanted him to have puppies with was a small Yorkie, not his type at all, maybe this is why he wasn't interested.

claudine, Nov 10, 2013
  7. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

I also do not have idea that dogs can get sick because of not mating. We used to have dogs that does not have mate partners and I have not observed they got sick because of it.

I think dog also need to know first their possible mates before they can feel the heat for each other. :p

zararina, Nov 10, 2013
  8. Trellum

Lets hope that it doesn't happen often and not to every dog that doesn't mate. But still, I worry a little. I want my little cutie to be healthy. I wish he got more interested in love:p
    Maybe only female dogs get sick if they never mate?

claudine, Nov 16, 2013
  9. Trellum

trishgl Well-Known Member

I've heard people talk about a female dog needing to mate to keep healthy. However I've also heard others that say it makes no difference health wise if they never mate. I'm really not sure but I've researched on this topic and as far as Vets are concerned most of them say it makes no difference. Of course they are looking at it through a purely physical point of view and not an instinctual or psychological one.

trishgl, Nov 24, 2013
  10. Trellum

So it may happen only to female dogs? It's good to know. I was really worried. I don't know what would I do if my Homer got sick because of my neglect. I think I'll look for a date for him anyway though:p

claudine, Dec 2, 2013
  11. Trellum

Tomi Active Member

I would say dogs mate quite often in their lifetime given the chance. Much like humans dogs too need the comfort of the opposite sex and can get affected by neglect. If you love your dog you will let her boyfriend visit often. It's another thing if you do not want puppies.

Tomi, Aug 29, 2015
  12. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Will this happen to neutered or spayed dogs? I have not heard this before, and hopefully with our love for Capone, he won't have to go through this. Well, he doesn't have nipples, but..maybe the other part :)

IcyBC, Aug 30, 2015
Ask a Question