Male dog mounting another male dog

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by shdws, Feb 1, 2013.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

There are many reasons a male dog will mount another male dog. One of them being dominance. I'm posting a link to an article that describes in better detail the reasons for this behavior. My motivation for this thread comes from reading about an owner who gave away his dog because he thought the dog was gay for mounting another male dog.

http://www.petfinder.com/dogs/dog-problems/stopping-dog-humping/

shdws, Feb 1, 2013
  2. shdws

claudine Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this. I'm still angry when I think about these people who left their dog because they thought he's gay...Personally, I wouldn't mind if Homer was homosexual, I just want him to be happy. I wonder what would these people do if their son was gay. Would they abandon him too?:mad:

claudine, Feb 2, 2013
  3. shdws

Melody Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing this information. I have seen male dogs do this. It seemed a natural way they react to each other.

My brother's dog, a Chow mix, is terrible with this. He is getting older and doesn't do it as often, but when younger he would mount male and female dogs regularly. He tried to mount Misha once, but she was so short that he got somewhat confused as he wasn't touching anything. LOL We've had other male dogs in the family, but none were as bad as this dog.

As to the other story, I simply cannot understand why this man thought his dog was Gay or why it would even matter.

Melody, Feb 3, 2013
  4. shdws

When I think about it, I'm pretty sure my Homer has never tried to mount a male dog and he doesn't try to mount female dogs too often, so far it happened only a few times. I wonder why. Maybe it's because he is smaller than most of the dogs we meet in the park.

claudine, Feb 3, 2013
  5. shdws

Melody Well-Known Member

Claudine, my other brother had a male Doberman. He currently has a male Yorkie and a male Mini Pinscher. They wrestle and play. I have never seen any of them attempt to mount any other dog. Perhaps they have worked out the order of their pack and don't need to show dominance in this way. Maybe Homer is the same.

Melody, Feb 3, 2013
  6. shdws

It's possible:) Or he is just showing his dominance by barking louder than any other dog and trying to attack them:eek: . Today he wanted to bite a dog who was twice his size and who seemed very friendly:eek: It would be easier and safer if he mounted him.

claudine, Feb 3, 2013
  7. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

My dog has tried to mount our neighbor's dong (male) a few times. I noticed right away that this wasn't a sexual thing, but a way to establish dominance. You can tell in their body language right before he mounts.

shdws, Feb 4, 2013
Ask a Question