Male Beagle doesn't like any male dog...

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by christina, Mar 25, 2012.

1. christina

christina Member

We bought our beagles about a year ago. They are brother and sister. Well the brother doesn't like any breed of other male dogs. I think it's because he is protective of his sister. It really gets annoying. If we go to the park he barks and growls at all male dogs. Does anyone else have a problem like this with their male or female dog.

christina, Mar 25, 2012
  2. christina

zararina Well-Known Member

Our male dog really gets wild and barking a lot when he would see a male dog just passing in our gates. He does not have any female dog to protect. Maybe there are just some male dogs who treats all other male dogs as enemies specially if they are not raised or grew up together.. :p

zararina, Mar 26, 2012
    christina likes this.
  3. christina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I think your Beagle has an inferiority complex. I remember reading that dogs which feel insecure tend to bark more. The big ones which are sure of themselves tend to be more the silent type.

Victor Leigh, Mar 27, 2012
  4. christina

Karen Member

Beagles are difficult dogs to train, I had to get rid of a female beagle named Coa Coa because I couldn't house break her. But it was funny because she really liked standing on her hind legs and walking like a person, and she's go for a long way like that. Well, when she got pregnant she was huge, when she'd get out of the house and take off down the street I'd tell my youngest boy 8 yrs old at the time to go get her, I remember one day looking out the door to see if he got her and instead of carrying her home I see him walking up the street with Coa Coa standing on her hind legs, big belly poking out and Mike had a hold of her paw just as you'd do with a child, and she walked all the way back up to the house that way. It was so funny, and when I asked him why he didn't carry her he told me he was afraid of hurting the babies inside her tummy.:p

Karen, Jun 13, 2012
  5. christina

I think there's nothing wrong with dogs walking around on their two hind legs if they prefer to walk around that way. I have seen videos of dogs that were born without forelegs and they do fine walking with just their hind legs. Maybe if someone puts his mind to it, it may be possible to come up with a new breed of dogs that walk on their two hind legs most of the time.

Victor Leigh, Jun 13, 2012
  6. christina

Jessi Well-Known Member

I'm really not sure it has anything to do with the sister dog actually. Male dogs tend to butt heads with other males (and male cats against male cats, etc). It's a power thing more than anything usually. Someone has to step up and show that they're the alpha dog, ya know?

Jessi, Jun 16, 2012
  7. christina

You are right. In every pack of dogs, there must be a leader. And when you have a dog, you must be the leader. This, I think, is what some dog owners missed. They, instead of leading, ended up being led by their dogs.

Victor Leigh, Jun 16, 2012
Ask a Question