Making Your Own Chicken Rice Soup

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by IcyBC, Sep 7, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is but Capone seems to get sick every couple of months. The only way I can tell is that he puked, won't eat and won't drink. When it first happened, I panic as I was worried that he would be dehydrated. On the second day, I decided to make him chicken rice soup with fine minced ginger!

I just boiled some chicken with extra water with minced ginger, and used the broth for his drink. Then add the rice until it's done. Long story short, after this first chicken rice soup meal, he got better and stopped puking.

IMG_1244.JPG

Have you made your own food for your sick dog, and what are they?

IcyBC, Sep 7, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  2. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm sure Homer would love to eat this soup!
    We sometimes feed him cooked rice and chicken too, it's one of his favorite meals:)

claudine, Sep 9, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  3. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

It is a treat for them, isn't it? Capone ate this for two days and loved it. It didn't take much cooking and now when he sees I hold a pot, he think it is his food :)

IcyBC, Sep 9, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  4. IcyBC

It definitely is a big treat for them:D My Homer wouldn't eat plain cooked rice, but he absolutely loves it with chicken and carrots:) I think he prefers it to his dry dog food.

claudine, Sep 10, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Carrot! Now that is a good idea and Capone eat raw carrots as treats. I didn't think of adding carrot in his chicken rice soup. Duh..my brain skips over this but I knew that I want as few ingredients as possible when he was sick :)

IcyBC, Sep 10, 2015
  6. IcyBC

Homer loves carrots, cooked and raw. When he was sick, we gave him a cooked carrot, because it's easier to digest:) But I completely understand why you don't want to add too many ingredients. It's always better to be careful.

claudine, Sep 11, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  7. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have been cutting up carrot pieces and keep them in a plastic bag as treats for Capone. He loves them, but I also just noticed these past few days that he has soft stool and went outside more often. I don't think it is bad, but I will have to give him less now just to be on the safe side, @claudine Has this happened to Homer?

IcyBC, Sep 12, 2015
  8. IcyBC

No, that has never happened to Homer. He has always been very healhy.
    Maybe Capone ate too many carrots? I give Homer around 10 small carrot slices a day.

claudine, Sep 14, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  9. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

Thuis recipe sounds great! I did something similar with a pitbull puppy I had when I was a little girl. She seemed tot Mike it, if my parents hadnt get rid of it I am dure she would have recovered.

Trellum, Oct 23, 2015
  10. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@claudine he might have eaten too many pieces of carrots or just had an off day. Whenever I am cooking and picking up a pot, he thought it is his pot of soup and waited for me to give it in his bowl. I might cook his chicken rice soup once in a while just to keep his system workings smoothly.

@Trellum it is a very easy recipe, you just put it on the stove and let it cooks while doing other things.

IcyBC, Jan 3, 2016
  11. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

I might try it :) I think this recipe must be so easy on a dog's stomach, specially if he or she was sick recently. As I said, I did something like that for a puppy when I was younger ;)

Trellum, Jan 3, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  12. IcyBC

My sister made a soup like this, but without chicken, and Homer didn't want to eat it, lol;) I guess cooked rice and carrots aren't tasty enough;)

claudine, Jan 10, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  13. IcyBC

Corzhens Well-Known Member

When our dog gets sick and wouldn't eat, our recourse is the Am - the broth of cooked rice. We boil a cup of rice in 5 cups of water so it would look like porridge. After boiling for 5 minutes, we harvest the broth that is called Am. After cooling it, we add one raw egg yolk and stir. If the dog wouldn't eat, we can use the syringe to force feed. At least the dog will have the needed nutrients while recovering.

Corzhens, Feb 10, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  14. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I gave Capone the cooked rice broth too when he doesn't feel well. I haven't force-feed him yet since he always bounced back in a day after eating his chicken rice soup.

IcyBC, Feb 10, 2016
  15. IcyBC

What Homer loves the most is soup with little pieces of carrots and buckwheat. My dad cooked it for him yesterday and Homer ate it within seconds:)
    I believe it's as healthy as cooked rice.

claudine, Feb 22, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  16. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Buckwheat? That sounds so delicious right now, and I should have some on hands to try! Right now I am feeding him Purina Pro Plan with salmon, but every time I pick up a pot, he thought that I am making his chicken soup :) It has been a while since I last gave him chicken soup, and I think I will treat him chicken soup with pieces of carrots soon!

IcyBC, Feb 22, 2016
  17. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I saw something going on with Remy yesterday and thought she might be getting ill. She seems fine but this looks like something I could try just to see how the girls respond to it. I find the only food they want more than anything is my own.

Winterybella, Feb 22, 2016
  18. IcyBC

I'm sure it will make him very happy:)
    As for buckwheat, everyone in my family loves it and Homer isn't an exception. Buckwheat is delicious and healthy:D

claudine, Feb 28, 2016
  19. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

A pot of buckwheat chicken and carrot soup sounds marvelous for Capone at the moment. My son thought that he has a cold since he sneezing a lot. I think it is just the cold winter weather that he has to endure to go outside to do his business. Oh heck, whatever reasons, I still want to give him some pampering from time to time :)

IcyBC, Feb 28, 2016
Ask a Question