Love of dogs or love of money?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Winterybella, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

Lol, oh my! But are you sure she was on heat? Or just starting? That does make a difference, he might not know how to do it, but the instinct is very strong specially when the female is on heat. Some females don't show a lot signs to be on heat, but most of the time you can see it in their behaviour. It's a shame nothing happened that time :(

Trellum, Jun 17, 2015
  2. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

As far as I know, she was on heat. My father tried to help Homer, but Homer didn't want that and bit him:p I think it must have looked very funny;)
    I'm afraid Homer will never become a dad.

claudine, Jun 18, 2015
  3. Winterybella

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 OMGGGGGG!!!!!!!! That is so funny, lol!!!! Sorry, but just the thought of your dad wanting to help homer and homer getting mad at him for that is so funny. But if she was in heat, well, probably they should have stayed a few days alone. My mom's mini schnauzer was like that, he had plenty of experience, but it took him a while to mount the other dog. 4 days or so had to pass for him to finally make his move. Did you guys let them be together for a while too? Because I think it was a great sign the fact Homer did try to mount her. I think he just needed more time.

Trellum, Jun 19, 2015
  4. Winterybella

Haha, I always laugh when I'm thinking about it too:p
    They were together only for two hours:( The owners of the female dog don't live in our area, they were visiting their friends and couldn't wait any longer:(

claudine, Jun 19, 2015
  5. Winterybella

That is a shame. I can guarantee to you that Homer would have eventually mounted her if he had had enough time to do so. It's a pitty, I am sure they'd have had very cute yorkies :) Next time (if you guys ever try this again) make sure to let them a couple dyas together. I am 100% sure it will eventually happen. My mom's dog also walked away from the female the first time he tried to mount her :p

Trellum, Jun 21, 2015
  6. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

:mad::mad::mad: Zola is not going to be happy when I let her know the dog I had her lined up for has eyes for another dog. Tell Remy won't make a difference. She is indifferent and could not care less. Homer belongs in the Guinness World Book of Records for 'not knowing how to do it".:):)

On a more serious note, the young we got Ginger from did not get the dog fixed and it's pregnant AGAIN.

Winterybella, Jun 21, 2015
  7. Winterybella

Trellum - I know, it's such a pity, I wish they could spend more time together! Yorkie puppies are super cute. Unfortunately, my parents don't want to try it again. Currently, we're too busy to think about getting more dogs or making Homer a father.
    Winterybella - haha:D Please, tell Zola he didn't really like that female Yorkie:p Nothing happened between them:p

claudine, Jun 22, 2015
  8. Winterybella

I will let Zola know. She's been looking very long faced these last couple days. Maybe she has been reading my posts. Homer would not have had problems with Zola. Zola would have insisted and shown him what to do. I think she wants to really badly, but I have to confess I don't think I could watch it. It would be like watching my daughter and no parent wants to do that.

In my previous post I made some mistakes. I meant to say that the young lady I got Ginger from has allowed Ginger's mom to go breed again when she had promised to have it fixed. I think Trellum had predicted she wasn't going to have it done and she was right.

Winterybella, Jun 22, 2015
  9. Winterybella

Haha, I don't think I could watch it either. Our dogs deserve some privacy, don't they?;) But, to be honest, I don't think Homer is interested in such things. He doesn't seem attracted to female dogs. All he wants to do is to eat, spend time with my father and chase pine cones that we throw for him;)

claudine, Jun 23, 2015
  10. Winterybella

LilAnn Well-Known Member

When people purposefully breed a dog for money, they are usually pure bred, aren't they?

LilAnn, Jul 6, 2015
  11. Winterybella

julyfly Member

Not always.

A lot of people think "puppies = quick buck" sadly.

They like their dog, they find someone else who has an intact dog, and then let them go at it. Many times people who are breeding these "designer" dogs don't know anything about responsible breeding. They don't know health histories of their own dogs, let alone the one they're using for stud.

It makes me sad when people breed indiscriminately. When we found our whippet breeder, we learned the difference between a truly excellent breeder and one who was just out to make money. Our poodle came from a backyard breeder, and while I adore him and wouldn't trade him for anything, I will never make that mistake again. GOOD breeders do extensive testing on their breeding stock, know the lines' health in and out, breed for health AND temperament, and do good to really break even on a litter. It's a labor of love for the breed.

julyfly, Jul 9, 2015
  12. Winterybella

LilAnn Well-Known Member

Some of my dogs would be perfect for breeding. They're beautiful specimens. But I wouldn't dream of ever letting that happen on purpose.

LilAnn, Jul 14, 2015
  13. Winterybella

tajnz Well-Known Member

I live in New Zealand and there is a site here kind of like Ebay where people (normal people, not proper breeders) try to sell puppies for exorbitant prices. It's obvious that some of these sellers don't care about the dogs and puppies under their care, it's sickening.

tajnz, Sep 12, 2015
  14. Winterybella

I think it's quite sad. I saw a youngster with what seemed like an army of small dogs. I spoke about it before. He was trying to sell them of cheaply. He said there were either 22 or 24 pups initially. Maybe I should have given him some motherly advice.

Winterybella, Sep 13, 2015
  15. Winterybella

Johanna Well-Known Member

Agree :(

Johanna, Mar 26, 2016
  16. Winterybella

Well I am continuing to see a lot of breeding by regular joes who don't have any background in breeding. The latest case is close to home again. This is not one of those for the sake of money cases ( he is giving them away only to people he trusts) but a situation where the dog is left alone,wanders and comes home pregnant. It can be costly to have a dog fixed and many think they will be able to oversee the dogs and that's what happened with my relatives. Now they can't keep them all as much as they would love to. At least in this case they are slowly finding homes for them all.

Winterybella, Mar 31, 2016
  17. Winterybella

Snary84 Member

This is terrible but sadly there are many people who breed dogs only for the sake of money. The things is, most of those people are amateurs, they think that they can sell their puppies for a quick buck and this won't stop until there will be people who buy from them. Some of those "breeders" are heartless and what they only care about is they money they can make out of dogs. Two years ago we found a sweet West Higland White Terrier abandoned and we took her home. It turned out she belonged to one of those amateur breeders, she was eleven years old and she was let go because she was not profitable anymore. She was sick and she lived only for six months after we took her in, but we gave her the best of care and I'm glad she got to have some love in the end. She had her microchip so we were able to find out her story and we denounced the horrible guy who abandoned her.

Snary84, May 2, 2016
  18. Winterybella

Well I have to confess there are quite a few 'amateurs" around here and I have to wonder if to put my brother in that category. I've noticed he's been doing a bit of breeding in the last few years and I am not sure I can call him a professional. He certainly isn't a novice but do you have to have papers where you guys live? I probably should ask him if he's a professional.

In the case of my nephew whose dog got out, I am happy to say most of his pups have found good homes and he has been taking good care of the ones remaining.

Winterybella, May 22, 2016
  19. Winterybella

Corzhens Well-Known Member

If you got those 12 puppies then you would be another irresponsible dog owner. Pardon me, no offense. But those 12 puppies would need at least 3 persons to care for them. This is not to brag. We have 3 dogs and 2 housemaids to handle them. Since we treat our dogs as family, we really spend for them and a caretaker is the best that we can give. At least we have peace of mind that our dogs are taken care of properly.

Now, in your case, if it's only you who would take care of the puppies, I guess 2 puppies would be more than enough. At least you can give them the proper care and they would not be neglected. And for that irresponsible breeding, you are right. There are breeders who breed only for the money. It is their business so money is their priority and they treat the dogs just like commodities.

Corzhens, May 29, 2016
  20. Winterybella

remnant Well-Known Member

I witnessed a similar scenario in one of the periurban areas. These dog breeders don't have the dog's interest at heart because of the callous way in which they handle the animals. I saw one dog seller by the roadside. The dogs were placed on a short leash in the scorching sun. They were panting and likely to have been thirsty and hungry. There people are driven by money, I should say without being judgemental. The relevant government departments should crack down on those who sell animals in inhumane conditions without providing the bare minimums of humane treatment and provision.

remnant, Jul 8, 2016
Ask a Question