Love of dogs or love of money?

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by Winterybella, Jun 11, 2015.

1. Winterybella

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I was out driving with my husband the other day and came across these barking pups, twelve strong I believe. When I inquired the young man in his teens told me they were for sale for $25US per pup. He said they were Jack Russell mixed with Chihuahua. I forgot to ask if they had their shots. He told me he had 24 pups initially. I wanted to bring them all home and I am sure some of the neighbors might not miss the noise they make. Sadly my hands are full.

I worry that people are breeding dogs in a very irresponsible way for a quick buck. In this case I don't know the full story but it looks all too familiar.

20150604_101549_resized (1).jpg

Winterybella, Jun 11, 2015
    Johanna likes this.
  2. Winterybella

claudine Well-Known Member

24 puppies is a lot!
    I hope they're taken a good care of and will find loving homes soon. They look so cute! I hate to think that some people breed dogs only to make money.

claudine, Jun 12, 2015
  3. Winterybella

mkCampbell Active Member

I know a few mom and pop breeders that I use that term loosely with. They are small, only do a litter here and there and take great care of their dogs and puppies. They do sell them for a profit but they also donate a ton of items to the local shelter. We always adopt strays, shelter dogs - except once. On the other hand the local news in East Tennessee has a story every few months about a dog or cat breeder that's arrested for abuse and having seemingly hundreds of sick animals etc. Those stories make me pretty mad and break my heart.

mkCampbell, Jun 12, 2015
  4. Winterybella

I have to tell you it was a joy to watch them but I am sure it's painful for the neighbors. The barking woke the little neighborhood up. I was just passing through so I was happy to take a short video and a few pics. I thought to post to video but it is very noisy.

I often worry that people are breeding irresponsibly. It's not fair to the little ones when that happens.

Winterybella, Jun 12, 2015
  5. Winterybella

It definitely isn't fair:( But let's hope they'll find loving and responsible owners.
    As for the noise, I believe it can be annoying. My Homer barks all the time too. Fortunately, our neighbors got used to it.

claudine, Jun 13, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  6. Winterybella

Trellum Well-Known Member

Wow.... so I am guessing those are designer dogs? I'm guessing, over here designer dogs were very popular for a while, specially the yorkie + maltese. It's a shame those people are bringing more puppies in this world, so people buy them, get tired of them and our feral dog problem only grows bigger and bigger.

Trellum, Jun 13, 2015
  7. Winterybella

I guess that what's what you call them. Chihuahua mixed with Jack Russell the youngster said. Basically the same as all of mine. I could not believe it when I saw them. I tried telling one of my friends to take two but he wants big dogs. I hope they find good homes is all I kept telling myself.

Winterybella, Jun 13, 2015
  8. Winterybella

It's the first time when I hear about designer dogs:)
    I'd love to see a Yorkie and Maltese mix. I'm sure those dogs look super cute. Yorkies and Malteses are my favorite breeds:D

claudine, Jun 14, 2015
  9. Winterybella

When I first heard about designer dogs I thought of dogs for the rich and famous and I guess to some extent there is still some truth in that. Apparently they are mutts a word that never sounds quite right to me. I plan on doing a little more research but I am sure Trellum can educate us without me doing much more digging.

Winterybella, Jun 14, 2015
  10. Winterybella

They were so in some years ago, everyone wanted one and now I think there are breeders focusing on ''designer'' doggies. They have gained some popularity :) But it's a rather informal breed, here is a pic of a yorktese:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And of course yorki poo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trellum, Jun 14, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  11. Winterybella

Yes, I hope so as well. Poor puppies, sad thing is I bet they are breeders, because there is no way that was a happy accident... 24 puppies!!! No way that was an accident. If we talk about statics... odds are a big percentage of those dogs will end up in the street sooner or later. That is why I dislike breeders.

Trellum, Jun 14, 2015
  12. Winterybella

Awww! They're unbelievably cute!!!:D Now, I want to have a designer dog too:D Maybe I should get a female Maltese and hope she'll fall in love with Homer. Their puppies would be adorable;)

claudine, Jun 14, 2015
  13. Winterybella

If you do it, please let me know! I actually favour the yorktese mix more than the others, because they look sooooooooo cute!!!! Do you think homer would like to have a little friend? maybe a girlfriend? ;)

Trellum, Jun 14, 2015
  14. Winterybella

I'll definitely let you know!:)
    But I'm pretty sure Homer doesn't want to have a little friend. He doesn't like dogs;) And he's extremely jealous. I remember the time when he was biting me and my boyfriend whenever we tried to hold hands:confused:

claudine, Jun 15, 2015
  15. Winterybella

It's not going to happen. I was trying to hook him up with either of my two, now three, but Claudine says he's a loner and into himself. The cross barrier interracial union isn't going to happen after all. I told the girls and they have decided to move on. They were looking at a local relationship and like some guys , he disappeared without a word.

Winterybella, Jun 15, 2015
  16. Winterybella

Hahaha, you are so funny! It does sound like him, lol. Just exactly like him. Plus don't forget about the huge language barrier ;) That is something that would have caused lot tension in the relationship.

Trellum, Jun 15, 2015
  17. Winterybella

Hahahaha! So he did that just because you were holding hands? Does he still do it or has he stopped doing it? It's a shame, but maybe if you introduce him to a cute Maltese dog in heat he might react differently ;)

He reminds me of my mom's schnauzer. It took him such a long time to mate with the other dog. He actually grunted at her when she tried to make him sniff her, lol. I thought... That is weird! Because before we rescued him he was a segmental dog.

Trellum, Jun 15, 2015
  18. Winterybella

Fortunately, he stopped doing it. I think he got used to my boyfriend and to seeing us together, but there was a time when we had to stay away from each other whenever Homer was around, lol:p
    He growls and barks at all dogs, both male and female:(

claudine, Jun 16, 2015
  19. Winterybella

Oh lol, then that is very good news, it's great he now respect your love for one another :) Some dogs are very stubborn and never change, but your little Homer did. It's a shame he barks at them, but have you ever tried to find a gf for him and introduce her to him while she was in heat?

Trellum, Jun 16, 2015
  20. Winterybella

Yes:) My father found him a girlfriend a few years ago. She was a Yorkshire Terrier too and her owner wanted to have puppies.
    Unfortunately, Homer tried to get close to her only once, didn't know how to do it, got bored and started ignoring her:confused:

claudine, Jun 17, 2015
Ask a Question