Long or short coat

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GavinMcresty, May 10, 2013.

1. GavinMcresty

GavinMcresty Well-Known Member

Does your dog have a long or short coat? Do you keep it at a particular length or does it just stay where it needs to naturally? Is it difficult to clear up when they are moulting? Are your clothes often covered in dog hair? Our house was covered in dog hair but since we are not particularly "houseproud" we did not really care too much. One of our dogs had a medium or long coat and the other had a very short coat.

GavinMcresty, May 10, 2013
  2. GavinMcresty

claudine Well-Known Member

During summer I always prefer Homer to have short hair - this way it's not too hot for him and I find it more convenient. During winter I let him have long hair - I bet he prefers it this way because he hates being groomed
    Fortunately dog hair isn't a big problem in my house - I vacuum once a week and it's enough.

claudine, May 10, 2013
  3. GavinMcresty

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka is a border collie cross with a long coat. We had her coat cut last summer and now its getting long again. Winters are a bit cold here so we'll leave it til Spring/Summer to have her groomed again.
    Houseproud is not a word thought of here. I was watching a house renovation show last night and asked my wife would she like a new large kitchen. Her reply only if someone else is in it. :rolleyes: We do vacuum regularly but also put up with the fluff as a matter of love for our furry friend.

argon_0, May 13, 2013
  4. GavinMcresty

zararina Well-Known Member

Our recent dog has a short coat and I prefer it that way.
    I prefer dogs with short fur since it is easier to maintain and it is usually hot weather here.

zararina, May 13, 2013
  5. GavinMcresty

amundy8 Active Member

My dog Bailey has naturally short hair, which is preferable. I never want a dog's hair to be too long, because they get hair everywhere. A lady donated a cake to some colleagues and it had dog hair on it, because her dog had long hair. I don't know how it got on the cake, but I will assume that it may have been floating in the air. I don't want to take that chance with a long-haired dog, plus short hair is easier to maintain.

amundy8, May 14, 2013
  6. GavinMcresty

Lokitns Member

I have three pooches, two short and one long hair; but we recently started shaving the long hair. He loves it, basically a backscratch AND he doesn't have to worry about getting overheated in summer.

Lokitns, May 20, 2013
  7. GavinMcresty

claudine Well-Known Member

I see that most of you prefer when your dogs have short hair. I understand it because it's much more convenient but personally, I feel that dogs look better with longer hair, especially Yorkies. Here is a nice picture:
    [​IMG]

claudine, May 23, 2013
Ask a Question