Liquid porridge for sick dogs

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Corzhens, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

This was taught to us by the first vet who handled our first dog when it got sick.

Boil a cup of rice in 5 cups of water. After boiling for 5 minutes, get a cup of the broth and add a dash of salt. Let it cool before adding a raw egg yolk. Stir the yolk to mix in the broth. When done, you can force feed the sick dog using a syringe. But take note that you only force feed when your dog wouldn't eat. At least you can be assured that your dog somehow gets nutrition.

Corzhens, Feb 28, 2016
    Alpha1 and IcyBC like this.
  2. Corzhens

claudine Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing this recipe Corzhens!:) I think Homer would like a liquid porridge like that. But I have a question, isn't salt unhealthy for dogs?

claudine, Feb 28, 2016
  3. Corzhens

IcyBC Well-Known Member

This sounds like the chicken soup that made for Capone when he was sick. I didn't have to force feed him yet since he loves the chicken soup.

I will have to remember your recipe if it comes the time that he won't eat.

IcyBC, Feb 28, 2016
  4. Corzhens

Trellum Well-Known Member

How do you stop the yolk from cooking itself in the warm liquid? It's just a doubt I have, because the water must be very hot. Is there a special way to do this in order to prevent that?

Trellum, Feb 28, 2016
  5. Corzhens

Alpha1 Active Member

Thanks for sharing this Corzhens. I have heard of it before but never tried it.

Alpha1, Mar 3, 2016
  6. Corzhens

remnant Well-Known Member

I look forward to checking out this recipe though you have not stated the sickness it is supposed to cure. It looks like it is intended for stomach ailments. Otherwise I would appreciate information on how to treat our old dog who is periodically affected by bouts of coughing. Animals don't communicate their suffering and it takes a discerning eye to detect a problem.

remnant, Mar 5, 2016
  7. Corzhens

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Interesting. I have not heard this one before. When I saw the title I actually thought it was your regular porridge. My girl might not mind this on a healthy day.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Winterybella, Mar 6, 2016
Ask a Question