LED Dog Collars

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by haopee, Nov 7, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

A friend of mine recently reviewed a bunch of LED collars for dogs.

led collar.jpg

They're great at night walks especially for black dogs like black Labs. And they're not too over designed or too bright to be considered borderline annoying.

What do you think? Would you be buying one of these for your dogs?

haopee, Nov 7, 2012
    Ian likes this.
  2. haopee

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Looks good. That's assuming that you let your dogs out at night to run around by themselves. I don't normally do that for my dogs. In fact, I don't even put collars on them unless I am taking them for walks.

Victor Leigh, Nov 7, 2012
  3. haopee

pafjlh Well-Known Member

So this is a collar that glows in the dark. I guess this is a good idea if you take your dog out at night. For that matter it would come in handy if a dog happen to get out of the yard. That has happened to me, and we lost two dogs because they were hit by cars that obviously didn't see the dog at night. Such a collar could certainly keep such a thing from happening and alert a driver. Fortunately my family now keeps our dogs penned in the back yard where the fences is a whole lot higher then in the front yard, so the odds of them getting out are very slim.

pafjlh, Nov 7, 2012
  4. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

It's a great idea. My Homer doesn't wear dogs collars but I sewed something like this to his suspenders myself . This way it's much safer to go for a walk when it's dark outside.

claudine, Nov 7, 2012
  5. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

Those are really awesome. I don't tend to take my dog out on walks at night, but I have been on the roads when other people have. They can be really hard to see. Reflectors in general are a good idea if nothing else, but I like these even better.

Jessi, Nov 7, 2012
  6. haopee

pigeon_small Active Member

Wow this is a great idea. If you're the kind of person who can't walk their dog until late in the day when sunlight is dying. You're supposed to wear bright colors so people can see you (and not get hit by a car) So this is the same idea only with dogs.

pigeon_small, Nov 8, 2012
  7. haopee

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I thought it such a good idea I just bought one on eBay for $4. Often we let Mishka out at night when she lets us know. As we live in the bush I rather think she is not interested in the wildlife so having this on, I feel she will consider not getting up to mischief while on her toilet break and will come back asap. Thanks for putting me on to them.

argon_0, Nov 9, 2012
  8. haopee

It makes sense to have a LED collar just in case your dog is an escape artist. I recall at least three times my black lab jumped the fence. At night. It wasn't easy tracking him down.

pigeon_small, Nov 9, 2012
  9. haopee

Those of you who have dogs that go out and disappear for a long time might consider getting one of these:
    [​IMG]

It won't tell you exactly where your dog is but it should tell you where it is heading.

Victor Leigh, Nov 9, 2012
  10. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

Oh god, you're right. I remember one night when Buddy got out through the fence. We all went out with flashlights trying to find him. We did eventually find him, but my biggest fear was that he would go out front and into the street. People speed down our road like crazy sometimes and there's no way they would've had time to see him and hit the brakes.

Jessi, Nov 9, 2012
  11. haopee

I was trying to make ot what this is. Is it a camera to record a dogs adventure?

I see the LED collar as a disincentive for the dog to go far. Having a collar giving off light would allow critters to flee and pet pooch feeling awkward .
    Mishka has this habit of out of sight out of range to be called back.

But I do like your camera idea. I do have one of those infra red trail cameras I could attach to her. :confused:

argon_0, Nov 10, 2012
  12. haopee

That's actually a device being tested on police dogs. The camera on top of the head will transmit pictures back to the handler. Then the handler will know what the dog is looking at. I think it is also being tested on dogs deployed at the war front.

Victor Leigh, Nov 10, 2012
  13. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

They often use cameras like that on rescue dogs. For 9/11, they had a bunch of dogs going into the rubble, looking for survivors in areas that it wasn't safe for humans to try to crawl into. It was incredible to see.

Jessi, Nov 10, 2012
  14. haopee

That is simultaneously the silliest and most adorable thing I've ever seen. A camera on a dog's head. And the dog seems perfectly fine with it. This reminds me, I actually saw a commercial
    about dog collars with tracers inside them. And of course you have a little gps/tracker thing that lets you follow your dog around. Either that or the tracer is compatible with a gps. This is probably very expensive but it makes sense to have one I guess.

pigeon_small, Nov 10, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  15. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Glad to know you're trying it. It does have some good uses, especially for people who live in forest-like areas. All you need to do is follow the glowing circlet.

I'm sorry to hear that. Fortunately, I haven't had a dog end up getting hit by car. I wouldn't want that to happen to them.

We have high gates and fences so they can roam around the premises whenever they want. Two of them even go up the 2nd and 3rd floor of the house.

haopee, Nov 17, 2012
  16. haopee

The LED collar came yesterday. It has three settings. Permanently on, slow flash and fast.
    I recommend this collar for anyone who walks their dog at night in the dark or just wants to keep an eye on them in some situations for instance if you go camping or let them outside at night for a run. It cost all of $4.40 delivered on eBay. Thanks for putting me on to it haopee. :)

Here's Mishka with new collar and her activity toy which is empty of treats but she still plays with it.
    [​IMG]

argon_0, Dec 1, 2012
  17. haopee

Jessi Well-Known Member

"It cost all of $4.40 delivered on Ebay."

Seriously? That's it? I can barely buy a regular collar at the store for that price!

Thanks for sharing the picture, too. I'm so glad someone tried this out.

Jessi, Dec 2, 2012
  18. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

We do not allow our dog to go out at night so I think that kind of flashing collar would not be necessary. But I think that was a good idea or product for those who enjoy walking their dogs at nights.

zararina, Dec 6, 2012
Ask a Question