Least favorite toy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, Jun 5, 2013.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

Have you ever bought a really nice toy for your dog only to find out that he doesn't like it? My Homer is quite picky when it comes to toys and he ignores many of them. But the biggest disappointment was when we bought him a Frisbee. I was very excited because I was sure that it will make him very happy! Unfortunately, he doesn't want to play with it at all:(
    How about your dogs? What is your dog's least favorite toy?

claudine, Jun 5, 2013
  2. claudine

Melody Well-Known Member

Oh yes! You just never know what will be a hit and what won't. I have a bag of toys that are the cast offs. Usually, I end up giving them to my brother for his dogs.

She has two stuffed animals, a turtle and an octopus. She loves stuffed animals. She refuses to play with either.

Then, she has a couple vinyl squeak toys. She won't touch vinyl toys at all.

It'd be an interesting study to see why dogs love or hate certain toys.

Melody, Jun 6, 2013
  3. claudine

Dogs are like children in many ways:p . They have their likes and dislikes - often without any special reason I guess.
    Homer has a soft ball for dogs but he never plays with it even though it was a gift from my father whom Homer loves. I suspect that it's a little too big for his small jaws.

claudine, Jun 7, 2013
  4. claudine

Melody Well-Known Member

Misha loves big stuffed animals. Her squirrel and hedgehog are almost the same size as she is. But, like Homer, some toys are just too big for her to get mouth around. My Mom bought her this alligator that squeaked very loudly. Misha couldn't get her mouth around it. I'm glad though. It was very noisy. I gave that one to my brother's dogs. :D

I guess they like certain textures, tastes, and smells. As I said, Misha avoids vinyl toys. Maybe she doesn't like the way it feels in her mouth.

Melody, Jun 7, 2013
  5. claudine

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Frisbee. Homer doesn't enjoy playing? Have you thrown it to someone else and played keep it off Homer? I'm sure he will get so jealous he will want it. :p

Mishka seems to enjoy playing with all the toys she has been given as long as we are a part of the game. The only one she does by herself is the activity ball filled with treats.:rolleyes: When it's empty she would rather encourage someone to play soccer.

argon_0, Jun 8, 2013
  6. claudine

I only tried to play fetch with him. Making him jealous by playing with somebody else actually may work. He loves stealing things, it's one of his favorite activities:p . He is my cute, little thief:p

claudine, Jun 8, 2013
  7. claudine

zararina Well-Known Member

I tried to introduced a stuffed toy to him, a dog stuffed toy. Instead that he likes it, he is scared with it even it was just too small compared to him. :p

zararina, Jul 3, 2013
  8. claudine

He is scared of the stuffed toy dog? It's more than cute:D
    My Homer has always ignored all stuffed toys, he couldn't care less about them.
    It reminds me...some time go I showed him my old Furby. Homer was raging when he saw it, he wanted to attack it:eek:

claudine, Jul 3, 2013
  9. claudine

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

Can a dog start to like toys late in life? My dog used to be my elderly relative's outdoor guard dog and I don't think he was properly socialized or given toys.
    He doesn't seem to be interested in toys.

Can you teach a cute little 10 pound rat terrier to play when he was formerly living outside to be used as a barking alarm for an old woman?

ACSAPA, Jul 29, 2013
  10. claudine

I'm not an expert, but I think that it's possible. I'm pretty sure that every dog loves chasing thigs, it's a natural instinct. So try to play fetch with him, maybe he will enjoy it:) My Homer also likes when I pretend that I want to steal his toys:p He is always very proud if I let him win:p

claudine, Jul 29, 2013
Ask a Question