Launch-a-ball means no drool

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Jessi, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/pets/ef43

Uh, is it just me, or is this really unnecessary and silly? The point is so when you're playing fetch and the dog brings back a slobbery ball, you don't have to touch it. Would you use something like this? It's only 10 bucks, but still....

Jessi, Jun 28, 2012
  2. Jessi

tajnz Well-Known Member

I think the other reason people buy such a product is that they market it to make people believe you can throw further with it. Whether or not that claim has been substantiated I have no idea, could just be a marketing ploy. I've only had small dogs so I've never had the need to throw balls far away .. actually my dogs weren't the least bit interested in fetch anyhow. They also didn't really slobber only in summer occasionally. To be honest I don't really mind dog slobber after all I've been on a farm and had newborn calves slobber all over me, so I don't mind.

tajnz, Jun 29, 2012
  3. Jessi

haopee Well-Known Member

It's not a marketing ploy. You can through it farther with the right kind of launch-a-ball. I believe Kongs sell those too. This is particularly enjoyable during times where you're in acres of grassland or the beach.

But if their only reason is for slobbering, come on. We've been licked, bitten and even nuzzled. Do they really think genuine dog lovers would mind that much regarding slobber? And there's a reason why there are so many dog breeds in the world. If you don't want slobber, do your research and pick a dog that's fit for your lifestyle.;)

haopee, Jun 29, 2012
  4. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

The main law of the business world: no matter how silly the product is, somewhere, someone thinks that the product is a neat idea and will purchase it.

NewDCD, Jun 29, 2012
  5. Jessi

zararina Well-Known Member

I do not think that product is necessary especially for me that I do not mind holding a ball or anything our dog had bitten. :p
    A glove is already enough which is cheaper if you will really mind the dog's saliva. Lol

zararina, Jun 29, 2012
  6. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Still, I've seen people purchase some rather ridiculous goods, myself.

NewDCD, Jun 30, 2012
  7. Jessi

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Good idea there. For making some extra money. I believe that thingy would be used not more than three times, then it would be thrown away to the back of the cupboard, or wherever other useless stuff go to.

Victor Leigh, Jun 30, 2012
  8. Jessi

NewDCD Well-Known Member

Agreed. But hey, when you're making a product, most companies don't give two damns. As long as they get their money, they're happy : P

NewDCD, Jun 30, 2012
  9. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

My brother has one of things. His dog is a tennis ball dog and will fetch for hours if you let him. He uses it when they go to the park. He locks the dog in one of the baseball fields, then uses the launcher. The point of the launcher is he can throw the ball farther so that the dog has to run more.

I wouldn't buy one because my dog hates tennis balls. She's really not much for fetch either. I lucked out. I only need to throw toys 3 or 4 times and then she walks away. LOL

I could see the benefit of not getting dog spit all over your hands from a soggy tennis ball. :D

Melody, Jun 30, 2012
  10. Jessi

I think you have a smart dog, that's all. I could never get Candy to play catch. Whenever I throw a stick or a ball, she would run after it, then play with it herself. She sees no reason to bring it back to me. Probably she figured out that if I threw it away, I probably don't want it.

Victor Leigh, Jul 1, 2012
  11. Jessi

claudine Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy it. I don't really like that all of Homer's toys are drooled, but it doesn't bother me so much. I always wash my hands after playing with him anyway.

claudine, Sep 12, 2012
  12. Jessi

Actually I can't see how a dog can enjoy playing with a mechanical toy like that. From what I know about dogs, half the fun of playing is interacting with its owner. For a dog to see its owner happy is the very essence of happiness itself.

Victor Leigh, Sep 13, 2012
  13. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

It's not mechanical. And it is still interacting with the owner. That's just a plastic holder to scoop it up and throw it with, so the owner doesn't have to touch the ball.

Jessi, Sep 13, 2012
  14. Jessi

Nick87 Well-Known Member

I had a neighbor with one of these, and it does help the ball get thrown farther. I've also seen people using these at the dog park because who knows how many dogs have drooled and peed on the tennis balls there, and then it can be thrown for any dog to try to go get. It's a good idea at the dog park especially, but when it's just your own dogs it's good if you're bothered by dog drool.

Nick87, Sep 26, 2012
Ask a Question