Largest litter of puppies you know of?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SheWolfSilver, Mar 6, 2012.

1. SheWolfSilver

SheWolfSilver Well-Known Member

I was watching the news the other day and I saw a story about a Tibetan Mastiff in China that had 22 puppies! Apparently they are very expensive and one puppy sells for US $200,000! I bet the owner is a very happy camper right now!

SheWolfSilver, Mar 6, 2012
  2. SheWolfSilver

summerRain Well-Known Member

It's incredible! 22 puppies in one pregnancy? That was so insane. This case is so rare and that maybe the reason why the puppies are so expensive. So how many puppies were sold already then?

summerRain, Mar 7, 2012
  3. SheWolfSilver

wils172 Active Member

Wow 22 is amazing (I wonder if they had to bottle some of them b/c I can't imagine the mother being able to handle that many). I've seen as many as 14-15 through the years from my dogs and my neighbors dogs.

wils172, Mar 7, 2012
  4. SheWolfSilver

zararina Well-Known Member

The largest litter I know was only 12.
    22 puppies was really incredible. Hope every puppies are healthy as well as the mother.

zararina, Mar 7, 2012
  5. SheWolfSilver

King Browny Well-Known Member

I only heard of 17 litters, Scotland’s world record pups by a first-time mom red setter named Roma which cost the owner 60 British pounds a week for their munchies (the pups being a little over a month old only). And to see all those pups in a double-track newspaper page is crazy, that many. And now here you say 22! I say that Tibetan Mastiff is incredible. And lucky owner, too, for I read that the one they got is an impressive breed.

King Browny, Mar 9, 2012
  6. SheWolfSilver

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Personally I have only met one person who had 24 puppies all at one time. However that was from two Dalmatian bitches that gave birth at the same time. You can just imagine the chaos. I am sure I would have got cross-eyed with all those dots. My friend had to bottle-feed the whole lot of them. He organized the feeding by tying ribbons on all of them. Then as each was fed, he removed the ribbon. The reverse is done at the next feeding time. As each was fed, the ribbon was re-tied.

Victor Leigh, Mar 13, 2012
  7. SheWolfSilver

christina Member

I had a Pitbull who gave birth to 17 puppies. Unfortunately she ended up killing five of them. After this litter she never got pregnant again because we got her fixed. Taking care of 12 puppies was a handful. I could never do it again.

christina, Mar 22, 2012
  8. SheWolfSilver

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I wonder why she killed only five. Is it because she had only twelve nipples and one dozen was all she could handle? Yes, taking care of big litter is a lot of work. Like my friend whose Bangkeaw gave birth to a record nine puppies all at one time. It was a very special litter because the Thai people placed a lot of significance on the number nine. All nine grew up into roly-poly bundles of fun and found new homes.

Victor Leigh, Mar 22, 2012
  9. SheWolfSilver

King Browny Well-Known Member

Shakira’s former owner told me before that the first time that she’d given birth she was a monster. She had eaten all her litters. Unaware of being a mother, maybe when she gave birth and licks the little ones she tasted tasty meat especially when bitches won’t eat for a day when about to give birth. And then there’s also this one time that she’d eaten a dead litter of hers. I guess this is their postpartum depression thing. But with the right guidance they learn to be a mother. They should be watched to clean their litters until the moment the litters are feeding on their breast.

King Browny, Mar 24, 2012
  10. SheWolfSilver

LilAnn Well-Known Member

The largest I've seen was 8. It was enough to mess up the mama's spine. It was pushed up at an angle towards the back. It took a year to correct itself. I can't imagine how uncomfortable 22 would be

LilAnn, Jun 4, 2015
  11. SheWolfSilver

Trellum Well-Known Member

Wow! 22 puppies! for 200k each! That person must be the happiest right now, but I wonder if those dogs do sell well? Anyways, the biggest litter I've ever heard of here is 14 puppies. Some of them died tho, but i guess it was to be expected.

Trellum, Jun 6, 2015
  12. SheWolfSilver

LilAnn Well-Known Member

i would love to see a picture of either mama, right before she gave birth. I bet a newborn would easily fit in the palm of your hand. I wonder how many runts those litters had.

LilAnn, Jun 6, 2015
  13. SheWolfSilver

It was my friend's dog. She looked huge! But we thought that was normal for a dog her size, we really thought she would probably be having 10 or 8 big puppies, but no. She had 14 tiny ones, 5 of them died if I recall right, so it wasn't such a big litter after all :(

Trellum, Jun 7, 2015
  14. SheWolfSilver

LilAnn Well-Known Member

With the litter of 8, two died. Both were early on. I guess that's normal, though.

LilAnn, Jun 8, 2015
  15. SheWolfSilver

Yeah, most of the time fatalities can't be avoided. But I have heard that really depends on the nutrition of the dog and the prenatal care.

Trellum, Jun 9, 2015
  16. SheWolfSilver

claudine Well-Known Member

22 puppies!!! I can't even imagine it. I'd love to see them all together, I'm sure they looked super adorable. I love puppies more than anything in the world:D
    My Homer has only one sister.

claudine, Jun 10, 2015
Ask a Question