Kiss Kiss- Who kisses their Dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by argon_0, Jun 17, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Okay who of you kisses your dog? I've never managed to but from the statistics below it doesn't sound uncommon.
    Mishka is my doggie sweetheart but from what she gets up to I just cant bring myself to doing it.

A survey revealed that at least 63 per cent of dog owners admitted to kissing their dogs. Of these, 45 per cent kissed them on the nose, 19 per cent on the neck, 7 per cent on the back, 5 per cent on the stomach and 2 per cent on the legs.

argon_0, Jun 17, 2012
  2. argon_0

Melody Well-Known Member

Ummm....<...raising hand in embarrassment...> I don't think I've kissed in any of those places. I usually kiss my dog on the top of her head.

Melody, Jun 17, 2012
  3. argon_0

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

No, not me. I only hug my dogs to show my love for them. Maybe even grab them by their ruff and give them a good shake if I feel exuberant. Kisses? Not that I can remember but then again I am not even much into kissing girls, for that matter.

Victor Leigh, Jun 17, 2012
  4. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

I also just hug my dogs and will just act like kissing my dog and would say mwuah! Lol
    I do not think that kissing is a must and/or safe to do.

zararina, Jun 17, 2012
  5. argon_0

Jessi Well-Known Member

I definitely do not. I think it is disgusting, to be honest, and I find it even more disgusting when owners "request" kisses and let their dogs lick their faces. I just have no interest in either, ew.

Jessi, Jun 17, 2012
  6. argon_0

I feel the same way.

There was this family that was breeding Poodles. Or rather they only sold their puppies, if someone insisted on buying. The wife loved the dogs so very much that she would share the food from her mouth with her dogs. I mean like putting the food out a bit and letting the dog take it from her lips. I bought Benjamas, my Poodle, from her and it took quite a while to teach Benjamas to stop taking my food when I was eating.

Victor Leigh, Jun 18, 2012
  7. argon_0

Mystique Active Member

I have only seen my MIL kiss the top of her dogs' heads. My FIL pats them on their heads and body :D I can't stand those videos where people let their dogs lick and slobber all over the owners' faces. I agree that it is disgusting.

Mystique, Jun 18, 2012
  8. argon_0

Melody Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with a little kiss on the head. I do that. I'm not kissing her on the mouth. Nor she me. But, taking food from someone's mouth, now that is gross. I've seen people do that with their dog. Yuck!

I have a relative who fork feeds her dog...from the fork she is using during dinner. I think that's gross, too. I wouldn't let my family members do that. I'm not going to share my fork with my dog.

Melody, Jun 19, 2012
  9. argon_0

Jessi Well-Known Member

Ewwwww!

That is really, really disgusting. I don't care how sanitary our mouths are or how much theirs are. They are not babies. Ew, ew, ew.

Jessi, Jun 19, 2012
  10. argon_0

haopee Well-Known Member

I let her kiss me but not the other way around. I think dogs are happier with strokes and belly rubs anyway. But my beau has accidentally kissed her. He was sleeping and Peanuts came up to his bed to give him a wake up call. There goes his morning.:p

Kissing the dog on the leg? Or the paw? That's just seriously weird for me.

haopee, Jun 20, 2012
  11. argon_0

tajnz Well-Known Member

You think your relative acted strangely, one of my grandmothers would chew on biscuits before trying to give them to our dogs. Kind of like a mother bird. :eek: I found it repulsive and my mother would have to stop her from doing it.

I occasionally would kiss my dogs on their heads as a child and would sometimes let them kiss me, but then I'd have to wash the area with hot water and soap as I'd start rashing up.

tajnz, Jun 20, 2012
  12. argon_0

I have seen my father doing the same thing. When I asked him why, he told me that it was a trick he learned from his father. When you feed a dog with food from your mouth, the dog becomes friendly with you. Ever since that incident, I had asked some other people about it and they have confirmed that they do it, too.

Victor Leigh, Jun 22, 2012
  13. argon_0

tajnz Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I just assumed it was another of my grandmother's strange habits. She's a little eccentric.Turns out there could be method to her madness. I still wouldn't do it myself, it just seems so unhygenic. I can see why the dogs become friendly to those who feed them as they might see the humans as sacificing the food they could of swallowed for them?

tajnz, Jun 23, 2012
  14. argon_0

Unhygenic? No, I don't think so. You chew a bit on the food in your mouth, then you take it out or spit it out, as you wish, and let the dog eat it. You don't put back that same food into your mouth again.

My Candy loves left-overs from my plate. I don't intentionally spit out half-chewed food for her but I think it's my taste on the left-overs that might have made them so delicious to Candy. Either that or she has figured out that whatever I eat must be more delicious.

Victor Leigh, Jun 23, 2012
  15. argon_0

Jessi Well-Known Member

I have never heard that at all. I don't know how chewing the food would somehow create a bond, but hey, if it does, then awesome.

Jessi, Jun 23, 2012
  16. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Dogs and wolves regurgitate food for their pups. Maybe when you give your dog chewed food you are replicating this behaviour. I found this great little video showing this.

argon_0, Jun 24, 2012
  17. argon_0

tajnz Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting the clip above Argon. I haven't heard of dogs regurgitating food for their young before, although I knew that other animals did e.g birds. It's true you learn something new everyday. Perhaps there is method to humans feeding their dogs the same way. One things for sure though I'm not trying it he he.

Victor Leigh, I didn't mean unhygenic for humans, I meant for dogs. Although from what I've heard so far it doesn't seem to make dogs ill.

tajnz, Jun 24, 2012
  18. argon_0

It's not the chewing that makes the bond. It's the taste of the owner's saliva on the food that makes the bond. Remember that dogs are very oral creatures and they lick what they like.

Victor Leigh, Jun 24, 2012
  19. argon_0

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes, I understood the link to the saliva....not the actual chewing. I meant the whole act entirely....I have never heard that at all. I know licking and what has connections, but I really can't imagine a dog chewing food and then giving it to another in order to bond, so it doesn't really translate that well for me in terms of it making much difference.

Jessi, Jun 25, 2012
  20. argon_0

I don't really know what goes on in my dogs' heads but when I eat, they do observe me very closely. Even if they are not hungry. Even if they are not intending to ask for a treat. It may be fascinating to them the way I eat my food. Like I mentioned somewhere else earlier, most of the time, my dogs think that the food I eat must taste very much better than the expensive stuff that I buy for them. So giving them a bit of what I have in my mouth must be a sign that I love them.

Victor Leigh, Jun 25, 2012
    tajnz likes this.
Ask a Question