Keeping your dog cool

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by wahmed, Mar 19, 2015.

1. wahmed

wahmed Active Member

I freeze toys carrot sticks and apples in water to make an ice lick what do you do?

wahmed, Mar 19, 2015
  2. wahmed

claudine Well-Known Member

I let my Homer sleep in the basement during summer. It's relatively cold there, so he likes it. I've never tried giving him frozen treats. It sounds like a good idea!

claudine, Mar 19, 2015
  3. wahmed

wahmed Active Member

Max sleeps where he's used to. You move him an all hell breaks loose. Often I do tiny ice cubes filled with a treat in the middle. He adores them.

wahmed, Mar 23, 2015
  4. wahmed

I'm sure my Homer would love ice cubes like that! What treats do you put in them? I think I'd choose carrots and maybe some soft, meaty dog treats:)

claudine, Mar 24, 2015
  5. wahmed

worldmachine Member

My dog keeps cool by using a paddling pool in the garden, also i make sure his water bowl is kept shaded and the water changed frequently. You can buy cooling dog beds that are filled with gel or water that keeps the bed cool, a normal dog bed is too warm in the heat and a dog will typically lie on concrete instead.

It is also important to keep your dog well groomed, brush out any dead or matted fur as this will prevent air flowing across the dog's skin. One last obvious tip - don't walk your dog during the hottest part of the day.

worldmachine, Apr 13, 2015
  6. wahmed

I should buy a cooling dog bed for Homer. In summer, he often lies on tiles in our bathroom. I bet it's not comfortable for him.

claudine, Apr 22, 2015
  7. wahmed

Trellum Well-Known Member

My frida likes to sleep on the floor during the hot summer nights, because the floor is really cool then. She sleeps on the bed during the winter. She loves to drink cold water during the summer as well, so I change her water often and add an ice cub to it from time to time.

Trellum, May 31, 2015
  8. wahmed

superbobby Member

I let him inside the room with the air conditioner on. I noticed that he is very sensitive to heat.

superbobby, Jun 2, 2015
  9. wahmed

Diana Smith Member

I set up little wading pools for my rather large pack and fill it up with cold water with the garden hose. My dogs love running back and forth through the pool and my two year old golden retriever enjoys plopping down in the middle of the pool, splashing around and sticking her face all the way into the water. It is a great pleasure to watch them and seeing how much enjoyment they get out of it.

Diana Smith, Jun 21, 2015
  10. wahmed

This sounds like fun!:) I think I'll try to set up a small wading pool for my Homer too. He hates getting wet, but maybe he'll be willing to run through the cold water in summer.

claudine, Jun 25, 2015
  11. wahmed

danielle davidson Active Member

We do something like this for my dog! Not too long ago we decided that we would put some bones in water with a toy and then freeze it. Remy loved trying to get all the stuff from the ice. Plus it was nice because it was able to keep him cool while it was so hot outside. It's the simple things like this that they really enjoy. I might have to do this again for Remy soon because I'm sure that he would love to do it again.

danielle davidson, Jul 17, 2015
  12. wahmed

IcyBC Well-Known Member

My dog flopped on the kitchen floor where it is cooler and we have ceiling fans that running to circulate the air. He has short hair, so it is not so bad this year, plus we have cooler weather too.

IcyBC, Jul 22, 2015
  13. wahmed

Right now, my Homer is sunbathing:eek: It's really, really hot, but he doesn't want to go back to the house. He's so stubborn! I think I'll have to bribe him with food. Maybe he'll leave his sunny spot when I show him a fresh carrot.

claudine, Jul 22, 2015
Ask a Question