It's a safe bet we all "talk" to our dogs, cats & other pets, but

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by SweetBeast, Jan 20, 2013.

1. SweetBeast

claudine Well-Known Member

I love when Homer tilts his head while listening to me, I find it adorable! It looks like he was trying really hard to understand what I'm saying. And maybe it's silly, but most of the time it feels like he really was able to understand it. Whenever he hears a compliment, he instantly starts wagging his tail:D

claudine, Nov 1, 2013
  2. SweetBeast

Trellum Well-Known Member

I feel the same way when my pug and my schanuzer do it, but my puggie is a chronic head titler :D He just loves tilting her head whenever she hears a sound or I talk to her! My schanuzer seems to be very smart tho :) I think dogs might be able to recognize certain sounds you make after living with you for a while :)

Trellum, Nov 1, 2013
  3. SweetBeast

They're the best at recognizing sounds that they like, aren't they? For example, my little cutie always understands when I'm talking about food or about walking him:p Sometimes, when I talk over the phone and I mention food, he immediately runs to me, full of hope:p

claudine, Nov 1, 2013
  4. SweetBeast

Yeah :) They are so smart, I think they do learn to link certain words/sounds to actual itens ;) That takes some skill! Not all the dogs I've had were like that tho. I'm pretty sure some breeds are better than others at this :)

Trellum, Nov 7, 2013
  5. SweetBeast

To be honest, I'm not sure if it's true. There are at least a few exceptions. For example, a friend of mine owns a Yorkie who well, isn't very smart:p He is cute and sweet and everybody loves him, but he doesn't understand anything:p So I don't think that some breeds are more intelligent than others.

claudine, Nov 7, 2013
  6. SweetBeast

All my standard schnauzers were smart, but it wasn't until I owned a mini that I could tell the huge difference between those two :oops: The mini ones were soooo hard to potty train! It took them ages to get it right. But as you say sometimes some dogs are just slow for no apparent reason despite the breed ;)

Trellum, Nov 7, 2013
Ask a Question