Is your Dog Over Weight?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by argon_0, Jun 20, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

The last few times I've taken Mishka to the vet I got her weighed. She stays at about 25Kg. The vet though thinks she's a few kilos heavy. I guess they know what they are talking about as they charge me a fee for their advise.:rolleyes:
    I am concerned as I did lose a previous dog to diabetes. So is your dog over weight and do you feel it's a concern?
    I googled up some interesting facts. Now that's pushing the scales.
    The world's heaviest (and longest) dog ever recorded was an Old English Mastiff named Zorba. In 1989, Zorba weighed about 155kg and was 3.1m long from nose to tail!
    [​IMG]

argon_0, Jun 20, 2012
  2. argon_0

Melody Well-Known Member

Argon, Normally, they can tell by the shape of the dog. Your Vet is looking for certain signs in the shape of the dog. This is a good chart for determining where your dog falls:
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-evaluate-your-dogs-weight.html

Being overweight can be a bad thing for a dog. It can affect their health and reduce their ability to play. They can have trouble getting around, too. Misha is optimal weight, though she was underweight for the first two years.

My Lab was overweight when she turned 4. 10 lbs overweight to be exact. It was a terrible time trying to get her back down to 70 lbs. I don't ever want to go through that again with a dog. It's miserable for everyone.

Melody, Jun 20, 2012
  3. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dogs are not overweight as we feed them twice or even thrice a day. I think the reason why they do not really gain weight a lot is their being active and the foods are in moderation.

zararina, Jun 21, 2012
  4. argon_0

Jessi Well-Known Member

I can officially say NO!

He used to be. When we got him, he was packing on the pounds from his previous owner feeding him treats several times a day, cheese, snacks, etc. He had some health issues because of it, too. But after a few months of homemade food and more exercise, he's at a healthy weight and doing awesome. <3

Jessi, Jun 21, 2012
  5. argon_0

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Here are some more pictures of Zorba to give a better idea of how big he is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Victor Leigh, Jun 21, 2012
  6. argon_0

claudine Well-Known Member

Zorba is giant! Compared to him, I'm very tiny...and Homer is probably smaller than his head, lol:p
    Fortunately, Homer isn't over weight. He loves food but I mostly give him vegetables and I make sure that he walks and runs often:)

claudine, Jun 5, 2013
  7. argon_0

trishgl Well-Known Member

I am very careful about my chow's weight. We read that they are prone to hip issues when they are too heavy so we asked our VET's advice on how much food to give her daily. I had a dog who had spine issues because she was too fat and towards the end of her life could not use her back legs. I later learned that her breed was prone to that condition and that it could have been avoided if I had been more vigilant about her weight. It was a difficult lesson to deal with so I'm doubly careful now.

trishgl, Jun 8, 2013
  8. argon_0

Lokitns Member

One of my pups is overweight, one is under, and one is just right for his size. The overweight one we are currently walking him more, and making sure we're playing catch a LOT more, until he shows he's tuckered out and just wants to nap. We've been very cautious of his food and portions as well, he kind of spiked up in size when we were trying to find him new food without breaking the bank (he's the one allergic to corn). We got Dinner Rounds from Wal-Mart cause they were the cheapest corn-free option available for the time, but they're the doggy nutritional equivalent of KFC. So he kind of packed on pounds REAL quick. But we don't feed them that any more, and like I said, he's out jogging with his pops every morning now.

Lokitns, Jun 24, 2013
  9. argon_0

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

I have a cat and a Rat Terrier. My Rat Terrier used to be a chubby little sausage , but since my landlord fixed the broken fence, the dog has the run of the yard and he's about right for his size now.

ACSAPA, Jun 24, 2013
Ask a Question