Is your dog chatty?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Melody, May 17, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

My Lab was a quiet dog except when riled up by the UPS truck or someone knocking on the dog. Misha, on the other hand, "talks" all the time. It's not just barking at the door. She has all these quirky little noises she makes. Sometimes she will come over and yap away. You answer and she answers in her language. This can go on for a minute or two. She is more likely to get your attention verbally than with touch. My Lab was the other way around. She'd hit me with her paw or shake her tail in certain ways to get my attention.

I think this must be common behavior for Jack Russell's, maybe for all terriers. Does your dog communicate with you verbally (for lack of a better word)?

Melody, May 17, 2012
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

That is so interesting to bring that up. Yesterday Mishka came over to me and started talking. I was on the computer so the best I could do was stroke her. I'm sure she was telling me to take her for a walk. So I did and I took my camera as well. I will post in photos and videos a couple of pictures.:)

argon_0, May 17, 2012
    King Browny likes this.
  3. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Our dog will also make some sounds as if talking when he knew it was already feeding and I am still busy. :p
    He also barks excitedly when he will see carrying his foods already. And he barks a lot when there are dogs passing on our gate.

zararina, May 17, 2012
  4. Melody

King Browny Well-Known Member

These reminded me of those dog videos where the dog says “Mama” or make a howling sound as if singing. Anyway, I actually heard my dogs made some disappointed grunt. I think it’s common to dogs to make that disappointed grunt especially when they are being taken for granted. The rest of their chatty talks would be the usual barking when they’re happy, barking when they wanted to tell you something, and more barking when they wanted you to comprehend what they are trying to tell you.

King Browny, May 18, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
Ask a Question