Is your dog a problem solver?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I am often amazed at Misha and how she works things out. I try to give her challenges throughout the day so that she can work through them.

For instance, she has three treat balls that I put her meals in. I hide the purple one at dinner time. (In fact, she gets upset if I don't!) However, each time I hide it I try to hide it somewhere different so that it doesn't become routine.

She has a blanket in her bed in the living room. Tonight, instead of hiding it under one or two layers, I rolled it up so the ball was in the middle. My Mom thought I was being mean. :p

At first Misha was flummoxed. She pulled here and there with no success. But soon enough, she figured out that if she stuck her nose through the end she could smell it. She eventually pulled it out that way.

She is the most clever dog I have ever had. I hope she doesn't start picking locks or running the microwave next ;)

Is your dog a problem solver? Does he/she work through little challenges you give him/her? Is he/she the type that will just sit there looking pathetic and make you solve the problem for them?

Melody, Sep 18, 2012
  2. Melody

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Our overweight beagle figured out how to take out a table full of Thanksgiving leftovers. We were in the kitchen cleaning up a bit after eating, and she snuck into the dining room and grabbed a hold of the lace tablecloth with her claws, using her body weight to pull everything off the table. A bowl of mashed potatoes landed on her and she had her face buried in half a chicken.

OhioTom76, Sep 18, 2012
    claudine likes this.
  3. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

Homer is really smart but he is also more than lazy and he'll solve the problem only when he is sure that there will be a treat as an award. If I hide a treat, he'll find it within minutes. Once, there was a little piece of bread under the sofa - I have no idea where it came from, but Homer instantly smelled it and he started to bark at the sofa. It took me a while until I realised that he wants me to move it. I did and there it was: a piece of bread. Homer was very happy.

claudine, Sep 18, 2012
  4. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Lmao!

Please tell me you got pictures of that! It sounds like a sight to see.

Jessi, Sep 18, 2012
Ask a Question