Is your dog a picky eater?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, Jun 13, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Our first two dogs when I was growing up were picky eaters. They'd leave whole bowls of food on the floor uneaten all day. I think the problem was we gave them human food and they didn't have any room for their regular food.

I've had two dogs as adult. Neither was given people food except for small nibbles here and there. Sierra took about 2 minutes to finish a bowl of food even when she was elderly. I put Misha's food in her treat balls or she would be done in about 15 seconds.

When I had my sister's dog, I was reminded about how picky dogs can be. Her dog doesn't get people food either, but she still is a slow eater. Her dog can't eat unless everyone else is done. She will eat some, but she picks out pieces she doesn't like and leaves them on the floor. Also, she never empties the bowl. No matter if you give her a full serving or a half of a serving she always leaves about 10 pieces of food in her bowl. At home, she takes about an hour to eat. I can't leave her bowl down because of her medication and because my dog would gain 20 lbs by the time she went back home.

Is your dog a picky eater or does it devour food the minute you put it down?

Melody, Jun 13, 2012
  2. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

Two of my dogs can devour their entire bowl in 1 minute. They are the ones who have experience getting hungry because they came from our neighbors- they're the ones who sometimes neglect their dogs because of financial issues.

Peanuts on the other hand is quite a picky eater. She can leave her bowl untouched the entire day. She'll then go to my mom because she knows she can't get anything from me.

What I do is I mix and match different dog foods so that they don't get bored as easily. Of course, prior to mixing and matching, I will first get their tummies accustomed to this new dog diet because I wouldn't want them to have an upset stomach.

haopee, Jun 13, 2012
  3. Melody

tajnz Well-Known Member

One of my dogs Rosie always was a picky eater. Even when it came to prepackaged dog food she would devour her favorite flavours and would be less keen to eat some of the other flavours. I'm not sure if this is unique or if other dogs have favorites too.

Our other dog Honey was the opposite and would eat just about anything.

tajnz, Jun 13, 2012
  4. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Majority of the dogs that I owned are not that picky.
    I even had dogs that love to eat vegetables and fruits aside from rice meals.

zararina, Jun 13, 2012
  5. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes, yes he is, lol. He will refuse to eat if he doesn't approve of food and while normally I would be inclined to just stick with that until he finally eats, I give him fresh food so it'd be a health risk to do that. I have certainly refrigerated food and given him the same set reheated later because the brat was too stubborn to eat the first time it was given.

Jessi, Jun 14, 2012
  6. Melody

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Depends on the dog. Dark Lady, my Dobermann can finish half-a-pot of rice, lick the bowl clean and still look for more. Candy, my Bangkeaw, won't eat the same type of food three days in a row even if the food is freshly-roasted chicken. I really mean freshly-roasted chicken and not left-overs.

Victor Leigh, Jun 15, 2012
  7. Melody

iluvmario Well-Known Member

My dogs are not very picky. They will eat any dog food I give them for the most part. They prefer canned food but I don't give it to them often because of the high water content and it makes their stool lose. Dogs do not like to eat dog food it they think they will get human food instead.

iluvmario, Oct 21, 2012
  8. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I find that there are times when Buddy and Oso can both seem picky eaters. This seems to happen most in the summer month more so then any other time of year. I guess it has to do with the heat, but during this time I find that I have to get them a more expensive dog food then they normally eat because they won't eat the one we usually get them the rest of the year.

pafjlh, Oct 21, 2012
  9. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer eats everything and he eats it instantly - he is not picky at all. He just love eating - what he eats is apparently less important for him. There is only one things he doesn't like: bananas. He tries to eat them anyway, but he never swallows them, he just chew a piece of it and spits:p .

claudine, Oct 23, 2012
Ask a Question