Is your dog a light sleeper?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, Nov 23, 2013.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer usually wakes up very easily. If I accidentally move his jingling toys at night, he runs to me almost immediately, ready to play. But I remember that when he was a puppy, he was a heavy sleeper. He scared my sister once, because he didn't wake up when she picked him up. She thought that he was unconscious:eek:
    How about your dogs? Are they light sleepers?
    Look at this picture, isn't it the most adorable?:D:

[​IMG]

claudine, Nov 23, 2013
  2. claudine

zararina Well-Known Member

That photo was so cute. :)
    Our recent dog is mostly a light sleeper. There are just times that he is a heavy sleeper and no matter how much movements I would do, he cannot sense me. :p

zararina, Nov 24, 2013
  3. claudine

dodgesnose Member

Our Dodge is a good sleeper, maybe since he's always having adventure. We walk him at least an hour each in the early morning and late afternoon, then having small naps after and long sleep at night.

dodgesnose, Nov 28, 2013
  4. claudine

Zararina - Homer used to be like that when he was a puppy. Now, he wakes up at the smallest noise.
    Dodgesnose - Homer loves taking small naps after walking too. He is very angry if I accidentally wake him up:p

Aww, look at this little cutie:

[​IMG]

claudine, Dec 3, 2013
  5. claudine

trishgl Well-Known Member

Our chow use to be a light sleeper when she was a puppy. Now that she's 2 years old she sleeps like a log. When she's had a particularly active day she even snores. She's also gained a bit of weight in the past month so I'm thinking of bringing her to the Vet. I'm not sure sleeping so soundly and snoring are normal for a dog.

trishgl, Dec 9, 2013
  6. claudine

My friend's dog snores too:D It's kind of cute! He is a rather small dog, but he can be really noisy at night. I know he is healthy, so yes, snoring is normal at least for some dogs:)
    But if I were you, I'd take her to the vet anyway, just to make sure everything is okay.

claudine, Jan 3, 2014
  7. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

My little puglet is a very heavy slipper, but my standard schnauzer is actually a very light slipper :) She seems to be always alert and ready to catch rats and mice :p It's her instinct, since she was bred for that. She reacts to the slightest sound, but my little puggie could sleep tru a house robbery, lol.

Trellum, Jan 8, 2014
  8. claudine

As far as I know, Yorkies were bred for catching rats too:) But it's funny, my Homer last night didn't notice that I moved his blanket. Usually, he bites me when I do this. This time, he was sleeping like a child:)

claudine, Jan 11, 2014
  9. claudine

Yeah, most terriers have a very strong hunting instinct :) Terriers love chasing small things, some do it more than others. That's why isn't good idea to keep small pets with a terrier at home. Glad your homer is sleeping better, maybe is because his age.

Trellum, Jan 11, 2014
  10. claudine

Homer chases everything that runs away from him. He always tries to catch other dogs, squirrels, birds, and, of course, insects. Do your dogs love playing with insects too? :confused:
    Fortunately, we don't keep any small animals at home. My sister owns two turtles, but they're really slow, so Homer ignores them completely.

claudine, Feb 2, 2014
  11. claudine

My surviving schnauzer likes to play with bugs only if they jump :) If they don't jump and just walk painfully slowly she is not interested. I guess she sees that extra high jumping as a challenge :p Because as soon as she sees that she tried to catch the poor bug!

Trellum, Mar 14, 2015
  12. claudine

Homer sometimes attacks even very slow bugs.
    The only little creatures he says away from are spiders. I think he's scared of them. I've never seen him playing with a spider;)

claudine, Mar 14, 2015
  13. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

My girls get up at the slightest noise. Sometimes I want to tip toe around the house so I won't get them up but it seldom works. Sometimes I want to drug them so they would get a good sleep when I am at home and doing thins that will invariably keep them up.

On the odd occasion if there are super exhausted they will be knocked out of a bit.

Winterybella, Mar 14, 2015
  14. claudine

I don't blame him, spiders are scary! My mom had a dog that even attacked bees :O I'm sure he'd have tried to attack spiders if he had had the chance, that dog didn't seem to think much.

Trellum, Mar 15, 2015
  15. claudine

Trellum -Homer attacks bees too! I worry they may sting him:eek:
    Winterybella - Homer gets up at the slightest noise too, especially if I'm in the kitchen. I can't eat anything without him staring at me;)

claudine, Mar 15, 2015
Ask a Question