Is weight training healthy for a Pitbull Terrier?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by shdws, Dec 21, 2012.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

I'm kind of on the fence about this. I know that it is not healthy to place a chain around a dog's neck as this can cause injury and add unneeded stress to the vertebrae. But how about weight pulling with a harness?

shdws, Dec 21, 2012
  2. shdws

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

In the first place, why are you making your dog do weight pulling with a harness? Pitbull Terriers are not exactly bred for sled work. If you want a dog that can do that kind of thing, you should consider getting a Husky.

Victor Leigh, Dec 22, 2012
  3. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Well as I said, I am merely inquiring. I have not put a harness on him and had him pull weight around. I have read on many Pitbull forums that a harness is the safest way for them to pull weight. Pitbull Terriers are working dogs so it should be right up their alley. My concern is his safety first, conditioning second.

shdws, Dec 22, 2012
  4. shdws

tajnz Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't reccomend weight training your Pitbull Terrier. Pitbull Terrier's can be healthy and happy without resorting to such measures. Just make sure your dog has a healthy balanced diet full of nutrients and that he gets regular walks and play time. Dogs aren't like humans and don't need weight training.

tajnz, Dec 22, 2012
  5. shdws

haopee Well-Known Member

If you really want to have your Pitbull exercise, then go for long walks or even runs. If you want to put some weights on him, try using a backpack that's especially made for dogs and have him carry your water bottles while you jog or do an exercise together.

A Pitbull isn't much of a working breed in terms of purpose. Heck, they were known for babysitting children back in the old days because of their gentle nature. It may not be best to expect them to have husky genes for sled pulling.

haopee, Dec 23, 2012
  6. shdws

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Just asked Google about Pit Bull Terriers. Apparently they were bred to be herders of cattle and sheep. Some were bred for fighting. Didn't find any mention of Pit Bull Terriers being bred for sled work.

Victor Leigh, Dec 26, 2012
  7. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Thank you but the question wasn't about sled work, it was about weight training. From what I've read, if you are going to weight train your dog, the proper way to do it is to use a harness for pulling weight. Putting weights on a dog or a chain around his neck is risking serious injury and joint deterioration. That is what I've gathered so far.

shdws, Dec 27, 2012
  8. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Backpacks are something that I read were not recommended because of the added stress on joints. I agree that Pitbulls are very gentle since mine is a licking machine :). I tend to agree with you on the long walks and run approach.

shdws, Dec 27, 2012
  9. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Yes I've read this as well, that dog's don't really need weight training. Then there are those that say they do. I think that you are right when you say that diet plays the most important role in all of this. Thank you for the feed back.

shdws, Dec 27, 2012
  10. shdws

haopee Well-Known Member

There's this thing called Urban Mushing. You should check it out. Perhaps, you enjoy it with your dog. It's like Cesar Millan on his skates while he places a harness on a dog to pull him. This hastens the dissipation of pent up energy and keeps the dog healthy.

Good luck on your Pibble. I think the change in food will dramatically affect his body structure.

haopee, Jan 7, 2013
  11. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

That is a great suggestion! Why didn't I think of that? So this is a win/win situation, my dog does all the work and I get a free ride on skates:D.

shdws, Jan 8, 2013
Ask a Question