Is it okay for a dog to eat bread?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by shdws, Jan 3, 2013.

1. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

I have read conflicting information on this. Some people say it's a great way to add carbohydrates to a dog's diet. Others say it can be harmful. Any insight on this?

shdws, Jan 3, 2013
  2. shdws

Jessi Well-Known Member

Yes, they can have bread. Just take note that there's sugar in it and you don't want to overdo it.

Can I ask why you're trying to add carbs to your dog's diet in the first place?

Jessi, Jan 3, 2013
  3. shdws

argon_0 Well-Known Member

I'ld say take care with it. Some dogs have grain intolerance so don't give them too much at first.
    As Jessi mentioned you also need to take care with simple starches and sugars.
    Tidbits would be okay unless they have a bowel problem like my dog Miska.

argon_0, Jan 4, 2013
  4. shdws

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer loves bread and I often give him some of it as a treat. Moderation is the key I think. He eats only gluten-free bread because I'm on a gluten-free diet.

claudine, Jan 4, 2013
  5. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Well first because he simply loves it lol. Second, I've heard that carbs are great for a dog's digestive system. I can't think of any other carbs that he would actually like.

shdws, Jan 4, 2013
  6. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Yes you are absolutely right! I have read the same, that dogs can have grain intolerance. That's what scared me about giving him bread.

shdws, Jan 4, 2013
  7. shdws

Jessi Well-Known Member

What food does he currently eat? Most commercial dog foods, unless you buy a special gluten-free one, use grains as fillers already. If he doesn't have an issue with those, then he's unlikely to be bothered by bread either.

Jessi, Jan 5, 2013
  8. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

He's currently on a diet of Ol' Roy complete nutrition. Now that you mention his food, maybe that's why he has loose stools. I never quite put the two together.

shdws, Jan 6, 2013
  9. shdws

haopee Well-Known Member

That depends on what kind of bread you plan to give them. It's okay for dogs to eat bread in a sense that it's not dangerous for them to eat, but to add it in their daily diet is another thing. Good dog foods are known for being complete. And contrary to some people's belief, dogs can survive eating dog food their entire lifetime.

Although dogs are omnivores, their diet should still be mainly meat (or protein-rich to be exact). This is where good dog food comes in place. My friends often provide their dogs with grain-free foods.

I give my dog biscuit treats... and sometimes, bread... but that's just for motivation in training and not on a regular basis.

haopee, Jan 7, 2013
  10. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Got it, that makes sense. Do you know what the dangers of feeding a dog bread daily are? Just out of curiosity.

shdws, Jan 8, 2013
  11. shdws

haopee Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I don't. But it's insufficient of the necessary nutrients needed for them to grow. But to answer your question, you might as well visit this blog.

Can Dogs Eat Bread?

As I've said earlier, as long as the bread does not contain ingredients that are dangerous to the dog e.g chocolate,macadamia nuts, milk (for lactose intelorant dogs) and the likes, they make good occasional treats

haopee, Jan 9, 2013
  12. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that link haopee. Seems like the worst that can happen is they can get really plump due too the high calorie content found in bread. I think I'll use it as an occasional treat as many of you have suggested.

shdws, Jan 9, 2013
  13. shdws

Shepherd Well-Known Member

Two of my dogs can eat bread. They don't seem to have any issues. However, my labrador has problems digesting starchy foods. We had an incident when he was younger where he took a loaf of bread out of the bottom of the pantry and ate it while everyone was away at work/school. Talk about an unfavorable surprise when we got home...

Shepherd, Jan 13, 2013
  14. shdws

shdws Well-Known Member

Wow a whole loaf of bread? That must have been one heck of of a surprise! I hope I never have to experience this :D. In fact, I'm going to hide the bread.

shdws, Jan 13, 2013
Ask a Question