Is it an allergic reaction?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Melody, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Misha has shown a propensity towards allergic reactions. She has allergic reactions to certain insects bites. Last year, she became really itchy after my Mom used fertilizer on the grass.

Lately, I noticed that her skin has been very pink off and on. There doesn't seem to be any itching, though. I noticed it two weeks ago, when my niece was over visiting. I noticed it again today.

It seemed to appear after we got home from our walk. I'm wondering if she is brushing up against a plant that she is allergic to or someone is putting some sort of pesticide, fertilizer, or other product on their plants/lawn and she is coming into contact with it.

Has anyone seen anything like this that looks like inflammation or an irritant, but doesn't necessarily cause the dog to scratch?

Melody, Jul 8, 2012
  2. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Some years ago I stored bags of cement under the house while I was building. My dog then started to get skin irritation and scratched a lot. My dog had a sleeping spot close to where I emptied the bags so I guess it was easy to find out the cause.
    With your Misha having more than normal pink skin could it be that because of your hot weather she is molting and it's more visible or she has sunburn?

argon_0, Jul 9, 2012
  3. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Argon, It hasn't really been hot where I live. We're in the one part of the US outside of Alaska that is relatively untouched by the scorching weather. :D

It doesn't appear to be permanent or long lasting. I notice it on her belly and legs. Usually, about an hour or two later, all the pinkness is gone. It fades pretty quickly. That's what makes me think it might be a contact irritation rather than something she has ingested. I don't think it is sunburn since it fades so quickly, but it could be like a heat rash since it has been sunny most days we've walked recently. I hadn't noticed it before a few weeks ago, so I don't think she has alway been like this after our walks, unless I've been unobservant!

It seems odd that it doesn't make her itch. Maybe I should be happy that it doesn't. I remember her reaction to coming in contact with fertilizer. She scratched constantly for 4 days.

Melody, Jul 9, 2012
  4. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

That's a bonus that she doesn't scratch.Does it look like this or not as bad.?

[​IMG]

argon_0, Jul 9, 2012
  5. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

Maybe a food allergy? If you seem to give her the same foods as always and she never got allergic do it, food might not be the cause. :p
    Try to observe where she seem to lay down and if she is laying down with her tummy on the ground. There might be something that irritates her skin.

zararina, Jul 9, 2012
  6. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

It sounds like it could be an allergy, sure, or simply a heat rash, although if you're not getting the hot weather like the rest of the States, that's less likely. If it doesn't seem to bother her, then I wouldn't worry too much, though.

Jessi, Jul 9, 2012
Ask a Question