Invisible fencing

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Libragirl67, May 4, 2013.

1. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Member

I have heard conflicting stories on the success of invisible fencing. Some people say it works like a charm and the dog never leaves the confines of the yard. Other people say the dog becomes accustomed to the shock and will break free of it. Does anyone have personal experience with invisible fencing? Is it worth the expense? And if the fencing proves ineffective how likely is it to be able to get a refund?

Libragirl67, May 4, 2013
  2. Libragirl67

MzMonka Well-Known Member

It might sound bad but it depends on how smart and determined your dog is. I know dogs that when they are determined will run right through it and take the shock and keep on running to what they want to get to. I had one once and my female would wait for the warning noise and lay right in that spot so the collar kept beeping. Once it stopped because she wore the battery out she was off and running. For some it is worth it, for me it wasn't worth the money I spent on it. I gave it to my aunt and it seems to work on her awfully ill behaved poodles. I ended up putting up a 6ft high picket fence to keep mine in and others out. I originally had thought chain link would be good but I also have a climber who can climb a chain link fence without an issue. As to the refund it depends on what the manufacture says on their site or packaging.

MzMonka, May 5, 2013
  3. Libragirl67

claudine Well-Known Member

To be honest, I haven't heard about invisible fencing before...but to me, it doesn't sound like a good idea. I wouldn't like my Homer to experience any kind of shock, he is so tiny and delicate. I have a regular fence - thanks to it Homer can spend time in the garden and I know that if a burglar tried to break into my house, he would have a problem - the fence is quite high.

claudine, May 5, 2013
  4. Libragirl67

trishgl Well-Known Member

There are several brands of invisible fence in the market. The one that is the most effective is the package that offers training as well as the equipment itself. These companies recognize the fact that if your pet is motivated enough a simple shock is not going to deter them. The company has additional training for the dog to ensure that your pet stays within the boundaries of your property. This type however costs significantly more than just the equipment alone.

trishgl, Sep 17, 2013
  5. Libragirl67

zararina Well-Known Member

First time to read about such product.
    I think better is cemented the floor and then steel gates just like here in the compound. :D

zararina, Sep 17, 2013
  6. Libragirl67

mkCampbell Active Member

I've used invisible fencing twice. The first time was with a small spaniel. It was impossible to fence in our yard due to easment issues with electric and the state. So we did the invisible fence. It worked great with the spaniel. The second time around with a new house and semi fenced yard and a Labrador retriever the system was useless. He just got a running start and ran so fast through the barrier that he never slowed down. He figured it out quick.

mkCampbell, Nov 20, 2014
  7. Libragirl67

digitalsatori Member

So, I've tried the invisible fencing before. We got it set up and of course, I had to test it first. I can't let something like this fly without knowing what it feels like. It was actually pretty funny - I have a video of the experience:

Anyway, Bear liked it. He liked it a little too much. When we had the collar on him, he would walk over to the perimeter, plop down where the collar would shock him, and proceed to jerk his leg in the way dogs do when they like where you're scratching. Needless to say, we ended up not using it because it didn't .. uhh, work as advertised.

digitalsatori, Mar 23, 2015
  8. Libragirl67

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I have heard of invisible fence, but they are too expensive for me to afford. My dog has a fenced in back yard and he is safe in this area. The front yard is where he is not allow to go unless he is on a leash.

My neighbor has this invisible fencing thing, and their dog too, just keeps running when she has the urge to just run :)

IcyBC, Aug 6, 2015
  9. Libragirl67

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I have considered this before for my bigger dog who spends most of his time outdoors and gives the passers-by quite a scare. I just don't know I like the idea of the shocking. I can't even remember it it's available here and how expensive it might be. I still have a quiet worry about pedestrians and keep praying no one will run into the road out of fear of her looking like she can scale the wall. Still I don't like the shock idea.

Winterybella, Aug 10, 2015
  10. Libragirl67

remnant Well-Known Member

I think the effectiveness of the invisible fencing will depend on the dog's personality. Some dogs will receive the fencing shock and learn to keep within the confines of the compound while others are cunning and will devise techniques of going around the fencing. I suppose keeping the dogs on a long leash is a good possibility though I stand to be corrected. I suppose the best methods should involve positive feedback and not pain though sometimes pets have to be saved from themselves.

remnant, Jul 21, 2016
  11. Libragirl67

Alpha1 Active Member

Alpha1, Jan 6, 2017
Ask a Question