Interesting Pet Loss website

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, May 11, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

I was searching for articles about dealing with your dog's death for a friend tonight. Her dog of 14 years passed away today and she needed some comfort. I came across this website that had some helpful resources. I think it has some very good tips on how to cope.

I've gone though losing a dog three times in my life. Each situation was different and none was easy. When my last dog, Sierra, passed away, she was almost 14 years old. Even though I knew she was getting old and was having health problems, it still was not easy when she died. I was very fortunate in that she died at home in her own way. I didn't have to make a decision on euthanasia.

I'm glad to see more resources become available for how to deal with grief after losing a pet. It's very much the same as when a human dies. We feel the same emotions.

Here's the link if anyone is interested. There were some interesting handouts that can be printed out.
    http://www.pet-loss.net/

Melody, May 11, 2012
  2. Melody

zararina Well-Known Member

That would be useful.
    It is never easy to see your beloved pet friend dies and losing them require some time to finally feel okay. I had lost several fur friends and I know how hurtful it can be.

zararina, May 11, 2012
  3. Melody

Jessi Well-Known Member

I really like some of the tips given.

I especially can relate to the question of "am I crazy to care so much?" For non-pet/animals lovers, it can seem insane for someone to be so torn up and upset when a pet dies, and it's not uncommon for them to make comments as such. Really, though, they become a part of the family, though, and the loss hurts, especially when you've been together for years and years. :(

Jessi, May 12, 2012
  4. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that link Melody.I found no.6 the hard one for me. I've had 2 dogs euthanaised and both times I decided not to witness it. I would find too many tears all at once. I found it interesting in the link that you could try to get the vet to administer the injection to the pet in your car. Now that would be a better option to some degree rather than struggling inside with a seriously ill animal.

argon_0, May 12, 2012
Ask a Question