Important facts about your dog's body

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Trellum, May 22, 2016.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Trellum, May 22, 2016
    IcyBC and claudine like this.
  2. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

Wow, this is so interesting! I didn't know that well trained dogs can learn up to 250 words. That's a lot! I always feel that Homer understands me when I'm talking to him:)

claudine, May 22, 2016
  3. Trellum

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I should print this out and pin it on refrigerator as reference. It is really interesting and a great guideline for all dog owners. There are things that we will forget to check or don't think about as often .

IcyBC, May 29, 2016
  4. Trellum

Corzhens Well-Known Member

I am most interested in the kidneys because our 2 dogs that died were both afflicted with kidney problems. In fact, they succumbed to renal failure. Our first dog, Jedi a medium size mixed breed, didn't show any symptoms except the growing tummy. She was 10 years old so it is obvious that she has a health issue. When we submitted her for a thorough checkup, it was found out that her kidney was already failing. And with her age, the vet had surrendered. After suffering for 3 weeks, I was forced to put her to sleep in order to relieve her of her suffering.

Our second dog was Epoy, a male pure pekingese. A year before he died, there was blood in his urine. A urinalysis confirmed kidney stones. We put him in therapy for many months and he seemed to have recovered. The therapy was herbal. However, when our housemaid left, we had forgotten that therapy. In 3 months after stopping the therapy, Epoy had blood in his urine again and his condition drastically went for worse.

I'm sorry for the sad story.

Corzhens, May 29, 2016
  5. Trellum

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Very interesting facts @Trellum. I did not know a lot of what is mentioned here. The raw diet is still something I have in mind.

Winterybella, May 29, 2016
  6. Trellum

remnant Well-Known Member

It is interesting that dogs don't sweat through their skins. They sweat through their mouths, so to speak. This means that during hot weather, dogs cool their bodies through panting when they open their mouths to release heat through the water flowing out of their mouths. They don't have sweat glands. Therefore, its important to maintain their hygiene by grooming their bodies. Lack of sweat glands is part of the reason dogs dive into water to swim during hot weather.

remnant, Jun 16, 2016
Ask a Question