Importance of exercises for dogs

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by zararina, Nov 29, 2011.

1. zararina

zararina Well-Known Member

Different exercises for dogs could really help them avoid boredom since dogs get bored easily compared to some animals.
    And also it will make them healthier and stronger. It could also be a bonding time between pet dogs and owners and become more obedient and loyal.

Do your dogs have regular exercises? And how it had helped them?

zararina, Nov 29, 2011
  2. zararina

Shawn Active Member

My dog is on a chain but a long one and when I come outside with a ball he runs back and forth (bout 30 feet of running space) and gets a lot of exercise in that instance. However, I also take him for walks, out to the country to run and chase squirrels LOL :p and stuff like that.

He gets good workouts and he works me out for sure, haha.

Shawn, Nov 30, 2011
  3. zararina

zararina Well-Known Member

That sounds really exciting for your dog to have such out of town like that. ;)
    Our dog here is not on chain and could freely run back in our compound. We play chasing with him. We can not have him walk outside since there are stray dogs and could just cause riot.

zararina, Nov 30, 2011
  4. zararina

BeachHut Active Member

I let my dogs out of the house everyday to have their daily exercise. I'd normally play with them and make them chase me because that way I also get to do cardiovascular workout. :)

However, I have never walked them in the neighborhood. I tried to put them on leash and walk them in the street but they wouldn't walk, they seem really afraid of anything unfamiliar. I am still hoping to walk them out one of thiese days, I know dogs love to explore, it's in their nature. :)

BeachHut, Dec 1, 2011
  5. zararina

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I take my dogs for a run every morning.

I have a sidecar attached to one of my motorcycles. My dogs don't have to be told to get onboard. They would be waiting in the sidecar for me. We would go to a quiet area near the rail tracks. Then they would have their exercise while I had mine. After they have run out of steam, so to say, they would get back in the sidecar and wait to be driven home.

Victor Leigh, Dec 1, 2011
  6. zararina

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dogs are really high energy. They require 2-4 walks daily as well as multiple playtimes outside. The walks are about a half mile long each time. They both love playing ball and frisbee as well as playing games with each other outside. If I don't go out with them, that's when they tend to get in trouble, or they just beg hoping that I'd let them play. It's good for me as well though, it gets me outside and exercising.

Nick87, Dec 2, 2011
  7. zararina

Sounds like your furry friends would be much happier living outside the house. Is it possible for you to let them go outside on their own?

Victor Leigh, Dec 2, 2011
  8. zararina

summerRain Well-Known Member

Strolling your dog in the park is the best exercise I must say. It will not only gives your dog a healthy body but a good bonding time with the both of you.

summerRain, Dec 17, 2011
  9. zararina

I strongly recommend that you keep your dog on a leash when strolling in the park with your dog. You never know when your dog might suddenly decide to dash off after a cat. Or decide to challenge a strange dog. Or, worse yet, decide to take a liking to someone's ankle.

Victor Leigh, Dec 18, 2011
  10. zararina

wahcashmom Well-Known Member

I think all dogs need to get exercise. I let my dog out to play, and take him walks at least 1 time a day. I think it is good for their heart, weight and makes them live longer in my opinion.

wahcashmom, Dec 18, 2011
  11. zararina

Depends on the breed actually. Toy dogs like Shih Tzus are perfectly happy staying indoors. Bigger breeds like Dobermanns must have daily workouts. Especially Dobermanns. If I didn't take Dark Lady, my Dobermann, for her daily run, she would be unwell.

Victor Leigh, Dec 19, 2011
  12. zararina

amy005 Well-Known Member

I bring my dog outside around 3 times a day now either on walks down the street or in the back yard. He is always happier when he gets his exercise also. I used to bring him out 5 times or so but I am not able to bring him out as much now that I have a 4 month old son.

amy005, Dec 29, 2011
  13. zararina

Perhaps if you create a running path along the fence around the house, you might be able to let your dog have its exercise on its own. Running around the perimeter of the house is a good workout.

Victor Leigh, Dec 31, 2011
  14. zararina

inTHEsane Active Member

Exercise helps greatly. For me the main exercise both myself and my dog get is from hiking. The first big
    hike of the spring he is couch locked for a week. Much like us being extra sore when we don't hike for awhile.
    After the weather hits back and becomes a regular thing a hike only keeps him content for a day or two,
    before he is bored again.

inTHEsane, Feb 23, 2012
  15. zararina

I think if your house has a staircase, your dog can be trained to use the stairs for exercise. Just encourage it to run upstairs and downstairs. Maybe you can start the ball rolling by doing it yourself.

Victor Leigh, Feb 24, 2012
Ask a Question