I miss my dog!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, Jan 3, 2015.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

I finally moved out of my parents' home. Unfortunately, Homer had to stay with them, I can't take him with me. My landlord doesn't allow pets:(
    As you can guess, I'm heartbroken!:( Of course I visit my little cutie almost every day, but it's not the same. I think he misses me too, but my parents take a really good care of him, so he's happy.
    Have you ever been in a situation like this? How can I deal with missing him so much?

claudine, Jan 3, 2015
    trinden likes this.
  2. claudine

mkCampbell Active Member

Hate to hear that you can't have your pet with you. But, as a pet lover and former land lord I completely understand. We bought a small house and rented it out for about five years before selling it. We allowed dogs up to 25 -30 pounds, house broken etc, etc. The first to renters were through friends and treated our property with respect. The last two had larger dogs and several cats. The repairs over the last three years cost us over $12,500 to fix between carpeting and stains on the hardwood floors from pee as well as claw scratches. The lower two feet of many of the door frames were mostly destroyed from what we guess were the cats using them as scratching posts. The screen doors were ruined, the wall corner boards, the rails on the steps. The damage was so bad, and the smell of animal urine, that we decided to sell the property.

That being said, take the time you have on your lease now and start searching for pet friendly properties. And please, be responsible when you rent and have a pet. Like I said above, our first couple of renters were responsible pet owners. The last was the one that all property owners dread.

mkCampbell, Jan 3, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  3. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I have not been in the position as the one missing my dog, but as the Landlord who had to write in the contract no pets were allowed:(. It's based on experience and MkCampbell spoke to the situation quite accurately. Some tenants are great with pets and leave no damage and others leave a ridiculous mess and bill behind. In cases like that you have to err on the side of caution.

Thankfully, you still get to see Homer everyday, but I know that nothing is quite like having your own dog in your own space. You got some sound advice from MkCampbell. Hopefully, something will work itself out.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    Winterybella, Jan 3, 2015
  4. claudine

mkCampbell Active Member

Thanks for the follow up WinteryBella, after I made the post I was thinking I was too harsh about the personal experience my wife and I went through. We were trying to be nice and allow pets - as we are pet owners and often foster. I do hope Claudine finds a nice place that's pet friendly down the road.

mkCampbell, Jan 3, 2015
  5. claudine

It was not harsh and I am sure Claudine will understand what we were saying. As a tenant you never know who's going to be that one that be great with the pets and still maintain the premises. As pet lovers it's a tough call but sadly sometimes the few make bad for the many who might be safe.

Homer belongs in this forum so I am sure something is going to work out. I am just thrilled they are still seeing each other often.

Winterybella, Jan 4, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  6. claudine

Thank you all for your responses!:) Don't worry, you weren't harsh at all. I completely understand. Some dog owners are very irresponsible. If I was a landlord, I probably wouldn't allow pets either:( But it doesn't change the fact that I miss my little Yorkie with all my heart. He's tiny, so he can't do much damage, but he barks all the time, so he would drive my neighbors insane. Also. I don't have a garden here, so he wouldn't be happy if he lived with me. He loves rolling on grass and digging holes.

claudine, Jan 4, 2015
  7. claudine

I knew you would understand, in just the same way as I understand how's it breaking your heart that Homer is not there with you. As a landlady myself I can't even encourage you to cheap on and sneak him in sometimes:). Either way it won't work as you said he's a barker and hence will sell both of you out.

In the meantime I am sure you'll visit him as often as you can and hopefully share some happy stories with us.

Winterybella, Jan 8, 2015
  8. claudine

I'm at my parents house right now and I've just spent a lovely hour playing with Homer, throwing him pine cones and giving him little treats:) I love him so much!
    I won't try to sneak him in sometimes;) He hates riding in the car. But I plan to visit him as often as I can:)

claudine, Jan 19, 2015
  9. claudine

Trellum Well-Known Member

Oh so sorry to hear that, Clauds! I was just wondering about that after reading an old reply from you a few minutes ago! I was wondering if you had taken homer with you, am so sorry to read you aren't allowed to do so! Maybe when you guys get a house you can take homer with you? Do you think your parents would like that?

Trellum, Feb 2, 2015
  10. claudine

Hi again. Homer is quite popular around here. I am so surprise there is dog who doesn't like to go driving. Zola my youngest wants to go driving everywhere and truth is I would love to take her everywhere as well. Anyway, when I read of those 40 plus dogs that have gone missing in Texas, I figured you are still fortunate that you still access to Homer. It was quite sad to see "those parents" mourning the bizarre disappearance of their pets. Let Homer know he has fans in the forum.

Winterybella, Feb 2, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  11. claudine

Trellum - my parents would hate that!:p They love Homer as much as I do. He is like a son to them. A very furry son;)
    Winterybella - Thank you, I'll definitely tell him:) I'm going to see him in about three hours!
    Ever since I remember, he has always been terrified of cars. I think he doesn't like the noise.

claudine, Feb 8, 2015
  12. claudine

Oh no, then there is no choice, and it is true, Homer grew up with them so it's right he stays there. I think he'd have a hard time adapting to a new house as well, most doggies do.

Trellum, Mar 9, 2015
  13. claudine

I think so too. He has his own room in my parents' house, his favorite chair and a window sill. If I brought him with me to my new place he would be unhappy.

claudine, Mar 9, 2015
  14. claudine

His own room? That is fancy :) Of course he loves it there, now I can see why! Not many dogs get to have their own room, what a cutie! He has a favorite chair <3 He likes to look thru the window?

Trellum, Mar 10, 2015
  15. claudine

Haha, yes, Homer has his own room:D My parents' house is huge, they have plenty of space there, so it's not a problem at all. Homer needed a place where we could keep all his toys, blankets and pillows. He often sleeps there or sits on a window sill and looks through the window. Observing people and other dogs is one of his favorite activities:)

claudine, Mar 10, 2015
  16. claudine

Does Homer have room for a guest? I am thinking of running away:). I honestly just came to see how things were going with Homer as he's the most popular dog in the forum. Have you sneaked him in the apartment yet? Just kidding. We all agreed that would not have been a good idea. Anyway, he seems fine and I am sure you are getting to see him often.

Winterybella, Mar 10, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  17. claudine

Awwwww, what a cutie!!!!!! I wish my dog sat on a window sill and just sat there to observe. My dog has such a short attention span, I know she'd not do that, she rather stare into the emptiness the blankness of the room. Hehehe. I think your Homer has such an interesting personality =D

Trellum, Mar 11, 2015
    claudine likes this.
  18. claudine

Winterybella - haha, Homer isn't very friendly:p He hates all our guests and always tries to scare them:p
    I haven't sneaked him in yet, but I visit him almost every day:D
    Trellum - Homer spends long hours on his window sill and barks at everything. Especially birds drive him insane;) I think that looking through the window is like watching TV for him. He enjoys it very much!

claudine, Mar 11, 2015
  19. claudine

Claudine it is funny you should say that about him looking through the window. I stayed at home today and my Zola likes to look out the window. It's not a bay window so she can't sit comfortably in the sill. My cat did. I love to watch her as it is one of the few times she is perfectly still. Such a shame Homer isn't so friendly:oops:. I have a broken heart. I am glad you are seeing him often. I want to travel but I don't want to leave my girls behind.

My Zola is too friendly. She'll bark up a storm for the first minutes but once she realizes you are friends or family she wants to be in your lap and all the rest of it.

Winterybella, Mar 11, 2015
  20. claudine

That Homer sounds like such a character! :D My dog is a schnauzer and really feels curious about small animals, but I've seen birds walking in front of him and not bothering him at all! I think he is only annoyed if it's a baby bird and looks like a rat. He HATES rats!!!

Trellum, Mar 12, 2015
Ask a Question