I can't buy my dog toys

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by dashboardc33, Oct 30, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

The title may sound silly, but it is true. Every single toy that I have gotten for my dog, she chews up. I have tried the squeaky toys, the rubber toys, tennis balls, the stuffed toys, etc. I have yet to find her a toy that she cannot devour. Even if we are supervising her, she thinks the purpose of the toy is to chew it apart. I always feel bad taking it away from her because it is her toy, but I'd rather her not eat them. It can't be good for her. I have to buy her bones at the meat market to keep her busy. They keep her occupied for quite sometime and are cheaper than replacing toys. Plus, bones are good for her teeth. Is there anyone out there who has a dog that likes to chew, and has found a toy that is suitable for the dog? If so, please share!

dashboardc33, Oct 30, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

haopee Well-Known Member

Have you ever considered getting Kongs? Like Kong Wubba? The big ones. I think they'd last longer with your dog. My dogs have attempted to tear it apart to no success.

[​IMG]
    Source

You also might want to check out Kong Airdogs. They're built more sturdier than regular tennis balls.

[​IMG]
    Source

haopee, Oct 31, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

Melody Well-Known Member

The problem I found with Sierra was that any of the tough toys like Kongs, hard bones, solid balls, etc. she didn't care for at all. So, I either had stuffed animals with no legs and noses or untouched tough toys.

You know what I did? I saved old socks, tied them together in knots, and I let her go at that. Eventually, she got over this phase. It was much cheaper than buying new toys that got destroyed five minutes after I gave them to her.

I used to buy her meat bones as well. That is until the night she woke up throwing up blood. A sliver had broken off and scraped her somewhere. A costly Vet visit, a scolding from the Vet, a couple of days rest, and she was okay. It scared me enough that I didn't give her any bones after that.

Is your dog the type that kills the toy to get the squeaker? My brother's dog is like that. By accident, they found out the dog will not chew up grunting toys. For some reason, the grunter doesn't appeal to him. You might give one of those a try.

Melody, Oct 31, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

I have tried Kongs, but not the Kong Wubba. I will have to do some research to ese what the differences are.

Melody, typing socks together is a good idea to keep her busy, but I am just worried that she will end up eating and swallowing them. Having socks in your stomach cannot be good for your system. However, I will keep it in mind. Maybe I will just monitor her and if I see her eating too many of them I will just trade her for a treat or something. On the other hand, that means she will need to be supervised every time she is inside. She was recently trained not to touch things that we don't give her. Knowing my luck she will go into our room and find lots of good socks to chew on! Haha!
    I have tried toys that squeaks, toys that make weird noises, and toys that don't make any noises at all. She is just a chewer! lol.

dashboardc33, Oct 31, 2012
  5. dashboardc33

pafjlh Well-Known Member

Not so uncommon for a dog to chew up a toy. I have a tendency to buy dog toys at a dollar store so that I'm not paying a whole lot for them, just to have my dog chew them up. Also, it has been my experience with socks (not intentionally mind you) that dog won't actually swallow it, at least mine haven't they just like to chew on them, yes this can mean holes in socks.

pafjlh, Oct 31, 2012
  6. dashboardc33

Melody Well-Known Member

Dashboard, that was something I didn't have to worry about with Sierra. She chewed them up, but she didn't swallow anything. I also made sock toys by stuffing a sock with socks and tying that up. It makes a thick, bulky toy.

I am not sure how much cloth hurts dogs. Misha was terrible with chewing up her blankets the first two and a half years. One day, I pulled out the blanket in her crate to wash it and it must have had a hundred holes in it. I know where some of the material went because I found it in her stool periodically. Not saying there wouldn't be a problem, but she seemed to survive it. Thankfully, she doesn't do that any more.

Misha can be destructive. I buy toys I know I can sew up. You can sew up a Boodah Hedgehog very easily.

Melody, Oct 31, 2012
  7. dashboardc33

claudine Well-Known Member

Maybe you could give her cones? My Homer loves chewing cones, it always keeps him busy for a while. I'm pretty sure he swallows some of it but it doesn't hurt him. The best thing about cones is that you can get them for free and you can find them almost everywhere:)

claudine, Oct 31, 2012
  8. dashboardc33

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Since Mishka has been on her new diet I've been giving her neck rosettes which is a bit if spine and fat and meat. I know I shouldn't and ask the vet who also said I shouldn't I think now I will. Thanks for the horror story Melody.

I thought I would google to see what tough toys are out there and came up with this site that sell such items in Australia. Maybe you have such a store or online shop closer to you. Mind you Australian postage is much cheaper than US internation mail from a couple of items I bought sent from there.:rolleyes:
    http://www.barkcontrol.com.au/shop/tough-dog-toys/12

argon_0, Nov 1, 2012
  9. dashboardc33

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Candy was an inveterate chewer until she was about two. After losing too many shoes, I got her a coconut. It worked for a while. Then I found this:
    [​IMG]

It's dried cow's ear. Very chewy. Probably tastes great, too. Non-fattening as well.

Victor Leigh, Nov 1, 2012
  10. dashboardc33

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

Our dogs loved to chew up toys as well, but we would steer clear of any actual animal bones or toys that were too hard, as they would often cut their gums up pretty bad on them. The only ones that seemed to survive pretty well were the thick pieces of knotted rope.

OhioTom76, Nov 11, 2012
  11. dashboardc33

Nick87 Well-Known Member

My dogs chew everything to pieces, too. They're able to destroy nearly everything. Kong toys are all supposed to be strong, but the few that have stood up to my dogs are these ones:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    They're the extreme rubber toys.

Nick87, Nov 18, 2012
Ask a Question