I am a former dog owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Old Gray Mare, May 9, 2016.

1. Old Gray Mare

Old Gray Mare New Member

My Jack Russell Terrier, Barnie, died a few years ago. He lived to be 21 yrs old. He was more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I decided not get get another dog - I am too old and really cannot afford to take care of one properly. But, I do miss having a dog. DSC00266.JPG

Old Gray Mare, May 9, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  2. Old Gray Mare

Trellum Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear that about your dog :( I totally understand what you mean, I'm just 29 years old, but I have decided that I will not get another dog once this dog I have dies... and if I do I'd get a small one, a really small breed. I'm too sick and tired to own a bigger or medium dog... maybe even a small, one, but we will see. Anyways, just wanted to welcome you to the forum :)

Trellum, May 9, 2016
  3. Old Gray Mare

Old Gray Mare New Member

Thank you, Trellum, for the welcome and comment. A lot of small breeds are high energy, my JRT sure was until he got old. I found a site that gave a list of dogs good for older folks like me, but there is still the expense. There are organizations that look for foster folks and I've thought about that, but then it would be hard to give them up when a permanent home came. So, guess I'll just visit friends' dogs for now.

Old Gray Mare, May 9, 2016
  4. Old Gray Mare

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Financial responsibility for the dog is the biggest part of my worry too! I am no longer has enough energy or money to afford another dog, if my Capone dies, that is that!

I am so sorry for your loss and welcome aboard the forum!

IcyBC, May 16, 2016
  5. Old Gray Mare

amelia88 Well-Known Member

I love the spunk that Jack Russells have - an old friend of mine had a Jack Russell cross Maltese and he was SO full of energy! A great dog.

21 is a wonderful life for a dog, and hopefully you can get your fix of all things dogs here on the forum with us. And sorry for your loss. I do feel like they leave such an impression on our hearts.

amelia88, Jun 9, 2016
Ask a Question