Human Food

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by danielle davidson, Jun 25, 2015.

1. danielle davidson

danielle davidson Active Member

I have a pug and we can't give him human food. It seems like when we do it makes him fart more, or he will eat his poop. Obviously I don't want that to happen, so I try to not give him any. It's just so hard because he's so cute, and will stare at you while you're eating. Does anyone else have a problem with this? Right now we have been giving him dry dog food. That's basically all we give him. Very rarely we will give him a strawberry top.

danielle davidson, Jun 25, 2015
  2. danielle davidson

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Minus some farts and having to spare yourself having to watch some poop eating dogs, you should be on top of the world. Because here is the up side, you do not have a begging dog that does not let you put your hands to your mouth without you feeling half is his, That's not always fun. Take it from someone who has four begging dogs, with one that stands out.

All that said, I have one that would eat all human food plus me and three others that prefer human food over chow. Some critics say it's not good for them.

Winterybella, Jun 25, 2015
  3. danielle davidson

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer eats dry dog food too. He loves it:)
    Wehenever he begs for my food, I give him small, healthy treats, like carrot slices, some salad or other vegetables.

claudine, Jun 26, 2015
  4. danielle davidson

Winterybella Well-Known Member

When Zola had the most greedy titile, she was still not a big fan of vegetables. I always found it so neat that Homer is good with vegs. Now Ginger has landed on the set, she will eat just about everything and when she eats the vegs I am thrilled.

Winterybella, Jun 26, 2015
  5. danielle davidson

I know, I feel very fortunate that my dog loves vegetables:D I can give him as many treats as he wants to without feeling guilty. Sometimes he also eats fruits like pears and apples.
    The only thing he hates are bananas.

claudine, Jun 28, 2015
  6. danielle davidson

Remy does also! When my dog begs for food I try to make sure that it's also something healthy. He really likes to eat the tops of strawberry's, those are his favorite. I wish that I was able to give him more food, but I know that he won't be able to handle that. I feel bad when he's giving me his big puppy dog eyes. I know that he shouldn't eat a ton of food though because otherwise he will start putting on a lot of weight.

danielle davidson, Jun 28, 2015
  7. danielle davidson

I think I could resist puppy eyes, but my Homer also barks, jumps and tries very hard to steal food from my plate:confused: He's so naughty! I can't eat when he's around;)

claudine, Jun 29, 2015
  8. danielle davidson

Remy will do the same thing! Especially when we are eating outside. He loves to get up on the chairs outside and try to get the food that's on the table. It's actually pretty comical. Which makes it hard to say no to him. He's always thinking of ways that he can get some food.

danielle davidson, Jun 29, 2015
  9. danielle davidson

How big is Remy?:)
    My Homer is tiny, he's a Yorkie, but he can jump really high, so my food is never safe when he's in the room:p When he was a puppy, he drank my aunt's coffee:eek:

claudine, Jun 30, 2015
  10. danielle davidson

Trellum Well-Known Member

I give scrambled eggs to my Frida from time to time, it's a very special treat, but I really don't like to give her human food often. It's hard because she also stares at me when I am eating, and makes me feel like I am the most cruel dog owner ever, lol.

Trellum, Jul 3, 2015
  11. danielle davidson

anadrotowski Member

We try not to give human food to our fur babies, either. We give them maybe a small bit of eggs every now and then. We also alternate between dry and wet dog food because they can be stubborn and refuse the dry dog food when they feel like it and then not eat at all. :p

anadrotowski, Jul 4, 2015
  12. danielle davidson

Trellum Well-Known Member

I give my dog scrambled eggs from time to time as a treat as well :D But only if we have something big to celebrate and if she has been a good girl :D

Trellum, Jul 4, 2015
  13. danielle davidson

Remy is also tiny he is a pug. Which is why it's okay if he's around us when he eats because he isn't big enough to get to the food. Oh no! That's not good. I don't think that Remy has done anything like that. Unless he did something when I wasn't looking ;P

danielle davidson, Jul 4, 2015
  14. danielle davidson

I love pugs!!!:D They're such cute dogs, I'd definitely get one if I was allowed to keep pets in my new apartment. I've always wanted to have a pug:)
    Homer tried to steal some champagne, too. He's so greedy;)

claudine, Jul 6, 2015
  15. danielle davidson

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone gets send away when we are eating. I don't like him to beg so he either lie down or spend his time in the kennel until we are done eating. Some time though when I eat apple, I always give him a few and loves them. He can smell when I am cutting a carrot or an apple mile away and comes running.

IcyBC, Jul 16, 2015
  16. danielle davidson

We try to do that, but during the summer we will let Remy outside. He loves to be outside during the winter, so he will be around us when we are eating and all he does is beg. Which is why it's so hard to not give him a little of something that we are eating. Yeah, I do the same thing with strawberry's because Remy loves to eat the tops of them. He could eat those all day if I kept giving them to him.

danielle davidson, Jul 17, 2015
  17. danielle davidson

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@danielle davidson It is so hard not to give them the delicious things that we are eating, especially when they are looking directly into your eyes :) We can only stay strong and determine for so long when they do that. When I know that we are eating something Capone can't have, I just give him his bone to chew on.

IcyBC, Jul 18, 2015
  18. danielle davidson

Oh I know, especially when you see them giving the puppy dog eyes. It's the worst hah. Haha yes, that is why I try to not always let Remy be around when we are eating. That way we won't have him trying to get of food. That's a smart idea! I might have to do that with Remy.

danielle davidson, Jul 18, 2015
  19. danielle davidson

My Homer would bite me if I tried to send him away when we're eating:p He doesn't listen to me at all. Every day, he spends a lot of time in the kitchen and near our table. Nothing can stop him from begging for human food:confused:

claudine, Jul 20, 2015
Ask a Question