How to Trim Your Dog's Nails

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by Trellum, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Trellum

Trellum Well-Known Member

Here is a video I found the other day that shows how to trim your dogs nails :) I must admit I was too afraid to try this on my own, but after watching this video I felt confident enough to try it on my pug. And guess what? It was a success! I could finally trim my dogs nails! That will surely save me a lot cash in the future! I can assure you that isn't as hard as you might think!

Trellum, Dec 26, 2013
  2. Trellum

zararina Well-Known Member

Nice video.
    I have not tried trimming our dog's nails since I do not think it will be necessary for them. Their nails does not really grow long and I think that was just fine.

zararina, Dec 26, 2013
  3. Trellum

claudine Well-Known Member

I've never tried to trim Homer's nails on my own, I always ask our veterinarian to do it. Homer hates when I touch his paws, so I'm sure I'd end up bitten if I wanted to do something with his nails, I prefer not to take the risk;)
    The dog in this video is so well-trained!:)

claudine, Dec 26, 2013
  4. Trellum

@zararina Most dogs seem to be fine if you don't trim their nails, but sometimes if you don't those long nails can cause some issues. My miniature schnauzer (the deceased one) had a lot issues with his nails. I'd often see him lying down nibbling on something... I often saw some blood as well. I had no idea what was wrong back then.

@claudine I can imagine :O I wonder how the vet manages to trim homer's nails? :D has he ever told you how he does that?

Trellum, Dec 27, 2013
  5. Trellum

No. Usually my father takes him there, because he is Homer's favorite person. If I tried to go to a vet with Homer, he would bite me and run away, lol:p
    Somehow, he is calmer when my father is around.

claudine, Dec 30, 2013
  6. Trellum

Oh I see! It sounds like homer loves your dad! I wonder how our dogs picked their favorite persons :) My mom had a schnauzer who seemed to love my mom with passion, lol. It was weird, since she wasn't the one feeding him... ever :D

Trellum, Dec 31, 2013
  7. Trellum

My father doesn't feed Homer either, he gives him snacks only from time to time. But they always go for a very long walks together and as far as I know, my father lets Homer decide where they go:p Our neighbours have seen them in the weirdest places!

claudine, Dec 31, 2013
  8. Trellum

Lol, really? What kind of places? You made me feel curious when you said ''weird''. Do you give a lot treats to Homer? Who feeds him everyday? I'm curious, my dad always feeds the dog of my mom... my mom gives the dog a treat every once in a while!

Trellum, Jan 3, 2014
  9. Trellum

Well, they walk everywhere. If Homer wants to sit in the middle of a street, my father goes there with him. If Homer wants to look at somebody else's home, they look at it. They climb hills and explore abandoned yards:p
    My mother feeds Homer, the rest of the family give him only little treats.

claudine, Jan 7, 2014
  10. Trellum

Oh, lol. Your Homer souns like such a ''divo'' lol. He also sounds like such a explorer :p A very curious dog! My dogs just stick to the path, they are not really curious :) It sounds like your homer and your dad really are great friends. Funny it's your mom who feeds him but his favorite person his your dad. I think they bond a lot when they walk together :)

Trellum, Jan 7, 2014
  11. Trellum

They really love each other:) My father always gives him his clothes, because Homer likes sleeping on them:p
    They have just returned from a walk, I hear Homer barking cheerfully:D

He is very curious. Whenever I bring something new to our home, a new skirt, a book or something like this, he always wants to sniff it;)

claudine, Jan 20, 2014
  12. Trellum

Aww! That's so sweet of your dad! They do really sound like the best friends ever! I bet they have so much fun together. By the way, does homer like to walk for very long or he prefers short walks mostly?

Trellum, Jan 20, 2014
  13. Trellum

It depends. When I walk him, usually he wants to come back home after 10 minutes:p
    With my father, they go for endless walks. Today, they were walking for more than one hour. I'm pretty sure they both enjoyed it:)

claudine, Feb 1, 2014
  14. Trellum

dodgesnose Member

Its really nice to see dads giving much time, effort and sweetness to family dog, my dad used to ignore Dodge but when they had great time in a beach walk, they become closer. He walks him more now.

As for trimming nail, mom is doing it for Dodge using this pedi paw
    http://www.petstreetmall.com/PediPaws-Pet-Nail-Trimmer/8471/3295/details.html
    Its really easy to use and doesn't hurt. Sometimes some friends and neighbors visit for small talk and trimming for their dogs.

dodgesnose, Feb 13, 2014
Ask a Question