How to treat heat stroke in dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jessi, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-Heat-Stroke-in-Dogs

I really wish I would've seen this earlier in the season back when we were having those deathly hot weeks of painful heat. It's a really good read and some of the stuff I wouldn't have known otherwise. Even if you live in a cooler climate, give it a look anyway.

Jessi, Aug 17, 2012
  2. Jessi

nikki Well-Known Member

great information, something every dog owner should know. I'll be bookmarking this and sharing it!

nikki, Aug 17, 2012
  3. Jessi

Melody Well-Known Member

This is really good information. We haven't had really hot weather yet this year. By that I mean, over 85F. But, I've notice that even if it is in the low 70s when Misha takes her walk that she pants much more than usual. I don't think we always realize what the warmer weather feels like to our dog. I try to take her out early on sunny days so that we can enjoy our walk.

By the way, that "pinch the skin" test is how you know if your dog is dehydrated. It's a good thing to know especially if your dog has had tummy troubles.

Melody, Aug 18, 2012
  4. Jessi

Jessi Well-Known Member

Very good point.

Usually dogs are good about keeping themselves hydrated if water is available, but you may need to make the water source obvious if you're out and about. They won't always know where to get it or how to tell you they're thirsty.

Jessi, Aug 19, 2012
  5. Jessi

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. I keep my dogs out of the sun when it's hot, and only walk them in the early mornings/late evening, to avoid such things. Sometimes, despite best efforts, dogs still overheat. I've usually got a damp towel around for them, they like rolling on it. Lots of water, sometimes they'll let me squirt water in their mouths with a waterpistol, kind of like a game. It's a brilliant excuse to buy a supersoaker if ever I saw one ;)

Evilsprinkles, Aug 20, 2012
Ask a Question