How to Spot a Good Breeder

Discussion in 'Breeding' started by haopee, Mar 16, 2012.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Two of my virtual friends have started breeding Dachshunds and Miniature Schnauzers. And here are some things I've taken notice of them.

1. They will only release the puppies after 6-8 weeks of staying with their mother. This is important as puppies will learn their first dog manners from their siblings and mother.

2. They will ask potential owners lots of questions and will require them to visit the dogs.

3. They screen and refuse buyers if they feel that he/she isn't fit to take care of the dog or that particular breed.

4. They will tell you that in the case that you are no longer capable of taking care of the dog, they're willing to take him/her back.

5. You will be able to see the mother and probably a picture of the father (if not the real one) with their papers ( which mostly includes medical examinations done to find out if they're free from hereditary diseases such as PRA or Progressive Retinal Atropy).

6. They are an expert in the breed and can answer questions regarding temperaments, behavior and potential health problems.

7. The breeding area is clean and sanitized. The dogs are well taken care of and healthy looking.

These are just some of the qualities a good breeder has.

haopee, Mar 16, 2012
  2. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

I agree with these qualities.
    And I really like a breeder who looks for the best possible owners and not just to sell them for money.

zararina, Mar 18, 2012
  3. haopee

iluvmario Well-Known Member

Thank you for this post! My breeders did all these thing with me before selling me my Yorkies. If I breed mine I will do all these things.

iluvmario, Feb 17, 2013
    haopee likes this.
  4. haopee

Jezebella Member

I don't buy from breeders, but if I did I would want to work with one who was comfortable with my touring the whole area where they keep the dogs. I would want to make sure it was a legitimate breeding program and not a puppy mill.

Jezebella, Jul 23, 2013
    haopee likes this.
  5. haopee

Jezebella Member

Right as I post that I realized it could sound a little snotty. I don't buy from breeders because I prefer mutts over purebreds. I have a theory that their genetics are more sound coming from a larger pool. It's not anything against good breeders. I know they're out there.

Jezebella, Jul 23, 2013
  6. haopee

millenia New Member

Good breeders also do all of the health testing recommended for their particular breed. At the very minimum, dachshund breeders should do BAER testing for congenital deafness, CERF for eyes, and OFA for patellas. I would never purchase from a breeder who didn't do the minimum health testing on the parents.

Most important considerations for me are in the following order:

Breeding for temperament
    Breeding for health
    Breeding for conformation

If the breeder doesn't require spay/neuter of all pet quality puppies, I will go on my merry way and find a more responsible breeder.

millenia, Aug 2, 2013
    haopee likes this.
  7. haopee

amundy8 Active Member

Thanks for this post. I think that breeders who take special care for their dogs should take those precautions and be very careful about who cares for their breed. Reasons may be because they care for their dogs. Another reason may be for protection of their reputation, because other potential customers may be interested in where that breed was purchased. I can also understand why they need paperwork on their health. It is just good for business.

amundy8, Aug 29, 2013
  8. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

I find this very helpful, thank you, Haopee. I think that the people that I bought Homer from are good breeders. When I first saw Homer, he was clean, not too young, and we also got his favorite food from them.
    A year ago or so, we met them near our house, I'm sure that it wasn't a coincidence. They wanted to make sure that Homer is healthy and happy:)

claudine, Sep 1, 2013
    haopee likes this.
  9. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

That's alright. I understand what you meant. Before I read your second post, I had already liked it. Sometimes we need to be strict in rules to make sure that puppy mills and uncaring breeders don't get the best of us.

Good points! I like your most important considerations segment. Also, a friend of mine who is a good breeder also has the eye tests done. She also joins dog shows and town activities. It's pretty awesome.

One of the things she does is allow the owners to leave the puppies (even when they're all grown up) with her if they go on vacations. She also does house visits to check on how they are and to teach the owners to use clippers to groom their schnauzer.

haopee, Sep 17, 2013
Ask a Question