How to handle a nervous aggressive dog?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Dani72, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Dani72

Dani72 Active Member

Last week I started to volunteer at a dog shelter, but there is one nervous aggressive dog that I'm worried about.

I hadn't realised the dog was concealed under a shelf unit when I reached up to pick up my water bottle and I startled her.

She had a good snarl at me, so I took a step back and looked away from her in the hope that she wouldn't see me as a threat. Apparently she often snarles at people like this. However when I turned to move away, she rushed at me for a quick nip. I'm told it is the first time she has actually done this.

I'm worried now that I've made an enemy of the dog, and I'm not sure how to manage the situation without making it worse. Unfortunately the dog sleeps in the main reception area (because she doesn't get along on pens with other dogs) and I need to go through the reception area often, so I can't avoid passing by the dog.

Any advice?

Dani72, Jul 25, 2012
  2. Dani72

s120450 Member

I work at a shelter too. I'm not an expert or anything but when you go their just make sure that the dog is aware that you are there. Walk loudly (not in a disturbing way of course) but loud enough so the dog knows you are coming. Just make sure the dog is aware that you are in the room. If you just started working their then I'd have to say this is a territorial thing. You've interrupted the dog's space and it isn't happy about it. It has to know that you belong there too though. You can't just scamper your way around it hoping it won't notice you, that will probably have worse results. When it finally accepts that you're there to stay, approach it, let it smell you, if its nervous around everyone, that's probably all the farther you are going to get with this dog. Acceptance is sometimes all we can ask from a frightened animal.

s120450, Jul 25, 2012
  3. Dani72

Dani72 Active Member

Thanks. I wasn't planning on trying to avoid the dog, but I wasn't sure whether I should make any attempt to approach her or not. Actually, I think i will be too nervous about that for the next few sessions, I'll concentrate on letting her know I'm there for a while. LOL!

How should I behave if it does decide to charge at me again? I don't want to show any fear, but on the other hand, I don't want my body language to provoke the dog in any way. Given that she only charged once I'd turned away, presumably I shouldn't turn my back on her?

Dani72, Jul 25, 2012
  4. Dani72

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

I am not sure if they will allow this but you can give this a try.

On your way to the shelter, buy a small piece of fried chicken. Get something with a bit of bone in it, like a leg or a wing. Then chew on that bit of chicken. When you get to the shelter, offer half of the chicken from your mouth to the dog there.

This technique has actually been field-tested with success. Not saying that it's guaranteed but you can try.

Victor Leigh, Jul 27, 2012
  5. Dani72

s120450 Member

I wouldn't advise approaching her. If she ever got to a place where she was comfortable enough to be approached by you, she would approach you first. (I know that logic is a little weird, sorry.) As far as body language goes I would avoid eye contact with the dog. She could see this as a challenge. I would also cross your arms, and overall just be firm without showing challenge. Now if the dog charges you again... (I really don't want to give you advice on this, because what if you got hurt from taking my advice? I would feel really bad.) But I will say what I would do in the situation. (ergo not advice, ;) ) Instinct would tell us fight or flight, and in this situation definately not flight (like turning away or turning your back to her) that would just make her give chase. So that leaves fight. I would stand my ground if she lunged again, if she notices the body language of crossed arms and no eye contact the she probably won't pursue. That's just what I would do. I want you to act as you feel would best fit the situation. Best of luck to you.

s120450, Jul 27, 2012
  6. Dani72

Dani72 Active Member

Thanks. The next time I went she had a growl at me the first time I passed by, but I just ignored her. After that she was fine and didn't bat an eyelid. I feel a lot happier about my next visit now.

LOL Victor, If I walked in with fried chicken I think I'd probably find myself at the bottom of a pile of sixty dogs! I wish there was somewhere near me that sold fried chicken though, just thinking about it has made me hungry.

Dani72, Jul 28, 2012
  7. Dani72

Sixty dogs? That's a lot of dogs. Have you tried going to the restaurants in your area to ask for left-overs for the dogs? I have done that before and I was really surprised by how much good food was being thrown away everyday at the restaurants. Half-eaten chicken drumsticks were very common. Dogs love that.

Victor Leigh, Jul 29, 2012
  8. Dani72

Dani72 Active Member

That sounds a good idea Victor, but I don't think the powers that be at the shelter would go for that.

At the moment the dogs are all on a controlled diet of medium grade food. Although it is a considerable cost each month, buying in bulk does mean that they get it at a good price. It also means that if a dog becomes ill, there is no wondering about whether it has eaten something that has disagreed with it, as we know exactly what it's had.

Feeding a meat based diet also means that the stools become far more sloppy and cleaning up becomes far more unpleasant.:eek:

Dani72, Jul 29, 2012
  9. Dani72

Jessi Well-Known Member

Good. It sounds like she's adjusting to you and is simply making sure you know that SHE is there. She will probably continue to growl every time unless you two actually become buddies somehow, but that'll take a bit.

Jessi, Jul 29, 2012
  10. Dani72

Dani72 Active Member

Yes, I think you are absolutely right. To be honest though, she seems to be happy as a grumpy dog and I would rather spend my time on the dogs that you can tell would like to make friends but are too scared. (A bit like in real life. I've reached a point where I value friends that value me. I can no longer be bothered with the ones that don't put any effort into their friendships.)

There is one dog in particular that follows me around, but cowers if I turn and look at her. This one, I am determined to win over.

Dani72, Jul 29, 2012
  11. Dani72

I don't have the finer details but, from your description, it seems that there is a slight misalignment of priorities. As far as the choice of dog food is concerned, I don't remember cleaning convenience as being part of the formula. But, of course, you all should know better since you are the people who has to handle it.

Victor Leigh, Jul 30, 2012
  12. Dani72

Dani72 Active Member

Well feeding a healthy controlled diet is the reason why they won't use scraps, not having to clean sloppy crap is a bonus of feeding a good diet.

Dani72, Jul 30, 2012
  13. Dani72

Jessi Well-Known Member

Aww. That's exactly how I would do it, too. I would want my focus on the ones that truly desire it. Good luck!

Jessi, Jul 30, 2012
Ask a Question