How to control matting?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Pocs, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

Both my dogs are little fur balls. They are brushed daily, clipped regularly and I shampoo with a dog/baby wash combo. My little guy, Gix seems to always get mattes anyways. I have tried everything. Most people think mattes are a result of ungroomed pets, I can assure you this is not the case. The easiest solution would be to shave him and keep him that way. I know mattes cause pain by pulling on the dogs hair, which I dont want him to have. But I also don't want to shave him. Any suggestions?

Pocs, Aug 8, 2012
  2. Pocs

s120450 Member

You problably have tried this, but how about a no tangle spray while you're grooming? I know that Johnson's Buddies has a no tangle combing spray for about five dollars if you are looking around for some. If you don't want to have the dogs shaved you could go for a fine trim at the doggie groomers, but that would become quite costly after some time. You're in a tough fix, I hope you get the right answer to figure it out!

s120450, Aug 9, 2012
  3. Pocs

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka gets this matting being a long furred dog. We unceremoniously cut them off from time to time with scissors. We call them dags down this part of the world. Not in the true sense of the word though as dags are something quite different. :confused:

argon_0, Aug 10, 2012
  4. Pocs

haopee Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. My sister's dog, Buchi (used to be mine) gets matted even though I brush him everyday... even twice a day! It's like an endless cycle of matting and de-matting. Even when I simply ruffle his fur a bit, it gets clustered. I bathe him once a week and compared to Chooey, who doesn't get mattes at all, it's quite tiresome.

We even had to bring him to the vet because he got severely matted in his "little boy area" that it got infected.

I will check if this no tangle spray is being sold in our pets stores.

haopee, Aug 10, 2012
  5. Pocs

pugskjj Well-Known Member

Luckily Koko and Kash have very soft, short hair. Kotton has the same problem that haopee's boy does except hers in on the cute little butt, and she gets "dingleberries" in the matts. I end up just keeping it cut because I would rather that then keep removing those nasty little things. Her ears are the only other area I have a problem with and the poor baby has even gotten her paw stuck in a matt trying to scratch...now I keep her ears cut down too because I am scared it will happen while I am not around. I am going to try the no more tangle idea though thank you so much!

pugskjj, Aug 10, 2012
  6. Pocs

Pocs Well-Known Member

I have to keep cutting them out also, which leads to bald spots or a uneven coat. Never thought of a detangle spray for him. I'll give it a try the next few days and post a review about it.

Pocs, Aug 10, 2012
Ask a Question