How to Bond with Your Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haopee, Jan 30, 2013.

1. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

Bonding time can be difficult with busy schedules. But if you have a dog, you have to understand that part of your responsibility to him is to provide him with the attention he needs.

How do you spend time with your dogs?

Chooey and I have different ways to spend our time together. We go on walks and play fetch even though I often end up picking the ball up. What about you?

Anyway, here are just some tips on doggy bonding time.

1. Walks. Show him off to the world. Learn how to enjoy each other's companionship by walking together/exercising daily.

2. Basic Command Training. I believe it's a must for owners to teach their dog basic commands. You'll never know, it might save both your lives someday.

3. Bathing Time. Make bathing a fun occasion.

4. Getting Him Involved. It may be bringing you your slippers or the newspaper, but involving him in daily chores will make him happier.

haopee, Jan 30, 2013
    argon_0 and shdws like this.
  2. haopee

shdws Well-Known Member

My dog enjoys walks and it's a great time for us to bond. Training is a very fun time for both of us. He hates bath time no matter what I do lol.

shdws, Jan 30, 2013
  3. haopee

argon_0 Well-Known Member

That reminds me to bath Mishka tonight as she will be staying at her doggie friends house Saturday night. Mishka's mum is usually the dog washer so I'll just have to see what her reaction will be? :confused:

argon_0, Jan 31, 2013
    haopee likes this.
  4. haopee

haopee Well-Known Member

:confused: <--- All you needed to show me was this and I would've fully understood. I added that as challenge. I've received battle scars from rebellious doggies who resist to give in the inevitable bath.

I wonder what's more priceless, Mishka's reaction or mum's.

haopee, Jan 31, 2013
  5. haopee

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer and I, we spend a lot of time together because he follows me everywhere:eek: . But I like his company:D . I think playing together is bonding - we play a lot, I throw him cones every day. It's also good to have some little rituals. For example, Homer always greets me in the morning:)

claudine, Feb 1, 2013
  6. haopee

argon_0 Well-Known Member

The bathing went straight forward. She was a little reluctant to get in for me so I needed to lift her over the gunalls.
    The laugh was I dropped her off at my neighbours home the next day and went on my merry way on holidays. 10 minutes after I left she bolted back home some 3 km away. My neighbour had to go looking for her and eventually got hold of her from under my house and took care not to let her outside his again without playing with her. They were rather distressed at having lost her for a time.:eek:
    I knew nothing about it until I phoned the following day to see if all was okay. I was outside of mobile phone coverage.:) The bliss of being on holiday and not having a care in the world.

argon_0, Feb 11, 2013
  7. haopee

zararina Well-Known Member

Yes, bathing time can be a good bonding time. Specially if the dog really enjoy bathing. And having a play time is really enjoyable.

zararina, Feb 11, 2013
Ask a Question