How Smart is your Dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by argon_0, Jun 17, 2012.

1. argon_0

argon_0 Well-Known Member

How smart's your dog. According to a site I visited it said that Border Collies,Poodles and Golden Retrievers are the most intellegent dogs.
    I wont argue with that will I Mishka?:rolleyes:
    So then I thought perhaps there is an intelligence test and here it is below . I may try a few of them on Mishka.

If 50 people were asked what constitutes a dogs intelligence there probably would be 50 different answers. http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/70878...smart-your-dog-give-him-iq-test/#.T914Ohf9Mjp

argon_0, Jun 17, 2012
  2. argon_0

Melody Well-Known Member

These are interesting tests. Some of these I do with Misha as part of our play sessions. I think it's good to challenge dogs. It keeps them from being bored.

I think Misha would score high on this test because I've seen her work through problems before. She is not one to be deterred by a barrier or something hiding her treat. LOL

Melody, Jun 17, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  3. argon_0

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Just had a look at some of those tests. I can't say that I can agree with their validity. Those tests basically assume that the dog wants to do what we would like it to do. Some dogs just won't behave that way. Not because they are stupid. They may not do it for the simple reason that they see no point in doing it.

Like the first test about the towel. Some dogs may just go to sleep if you put a towel over their heads. I know at least one of my Shih Tzus would do that. It's somewhat like playing fetch with a dog. Some just don't play it our way because they don't see any reason to bring back a stick that you are going to throw away again.

Victor Leigh, Jun 17, 2012
  4. argon_0

zararina Well-Known Member

I also do not think that it applies for all dogs since there are dogs that are just lazy to participate. Lol
    Still sounds fun to try some of those tests to see how our dog would react.

zararina, Jun 17, 2012
  5. argon_0

I found another list of test that may appeal to you to try out on your doggy friend.. Quite a few different ones included.
    http://ten.com.au/bondi-vet-bondi-vet-iq-test.htm
    I like this piece. Funnily enough however, those deemed to be the simpleton’s are celebrated as much as the smartest in the class. Yes, it may just be the case that with our pets, being deemed to be dim could just make you even more adorable!

argon_0, Jun 18, 2012
  6. argon_0

Victor Leigh Well-Known Member

Aaah, this set of tests is better. However, I don't think Candy would agree with test number six. If I had shown her the treat, then ate it all myself, she would not beg. Instead she would get very annoyed.

Victor Leigh, Jun 18, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  7. argon_0

Mishka failed that one. In the past I've given her treats eventually so she knows to stick around with anticipation.

argon_0, Jun 20, 2012
  8. argon_0

haopee Well-Known Member

According to my experience, three dogs scored high while the others don't in the Bondi Vet test. I guess one of the reason why they did is because they were allowed to interact more often with us, humans. Coal and BD are more on the instinctive side. Pack-wise, they'd probably be great survivors. Dog-wise, that's another story.

I have also noticed that Coal and BD don't not play with toys unlike Ginger, Peanuts, and Chooey. I give them toys and they stare at it- even stuffed squeakers. But when they see other dogs, they go over and sniff. Sometimes, they howl and bark and even play "Alpha" dog with each other.

haopee, Jun 20, 2012
Ask a Question