How Often Do You Go to The Dog Park?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by dashboardc33, Aug 7, 2012.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33 Well-Known Member

Do you take your dog to the dog park everyday? How long would you say that you stay there for? How long do you feel a good amount of time is, or does it depend on the type of dog.

I should take my dog more often, but I try to get her out there at least once a week. We usually spend about an hour and a half there-sometimes less depending on if there are other dogs for her to play with or not. There are days I have only been there for 20 minutes because there are a few feisty dogs that just do not get along with her.

dashboardc33, Aug 7, 2012
  2. dashboardc33

Pocs Well-Known Member

I would love to take my boys everyday, but the the only one in my area is about a 45 minutes drive. We do try and take them every few weeks. The local park does allow pets, which you have to clean up after, which I have always done, even in my yard. The have many rules though, no feeding or watering on premises, keep within 500 yards of playing children and equipment and no dogs over 30 pounds, just to name a few. It's a real pain. So I just walk my boys everyday. A nearby doggie park would be a blessing!

Pocs, Aug 7, 2012
  3. dashboardc33

pugskjj Well-Known Member

I have never taken my girls to a dog park. When it was just Kotton I was so afraid because of her size, and the only one was about 30 minutes away. Now living in Baltimore we have one close but it costs money! I just can't see taking my dog to a park I have to pay for when I have a perfectly good back yard

pugskjj, Aug 10, 2012
  4. dashboardc33

claudine Well-Known Member

We don't have any special dog parks here but we have a big park nearby where dogs are allowed. Homer loves it. I walk him there around three times a day - but these are really short walks so it's not very time consuming. I find it relaxing
    Homer always barks at every dog we meet there, he probably thinks that it's his park.

claudine, Apr 13, 2013
  5. dashboardc33

zararina Well-Known Member

There is no dog park here and our recent dog was afraid to be brought out (our dog was just adopted, used to be a stray dog).
    He was contented running around the compound.

zararina, Apr 14, 2013
  6. dashboardc33

MzMonka Well-Known Member

We don't go to dog parks. There is one in the area but I have noticed most of the owners aren't pay attention to what their dogs are doing. My dogs and usually confused with pitbulls and people act funny when I have my dogs with me. I rather keep my dogs home and play in the yard with them. It keeps me from worrying about other people and their dogs and my dogs being accused of something that they haven't done. It is tough when someone's lab is somewhat dog aggressive and the owner doesn't see it. I do my best to keep my dogs out of that type of situation.

MzMonka, Apr 15, 2013
  7. dashboardc33

Aniko New Member

In my town there isn't any dog park at all! Although I have never seen any, I can understand your concern, folks! We take our pet for long walks but I don't think he would like to be in a certain area with too many other dogs for hours. I think after a while the dogs would mutually set nerves on edge!

Aniko, Apr 15, 2013
  8. dashboardc33

trishgl Well-Known Member

Unfortunately we don't live near one so we have not gone for a year since we moved here. I'm quite fortunate though that I live in an apartment compound that has a fenced in garden. It's not big only around 700 sq meters but it's big enough for my dog to run around a bit. There are also two other dogs here so she gets to play with other dogs. I also make it a point to have my son walk her twice a day around the neighborhood.

trishgl, May 3, 2013
Ask a Question