How much time does your dog spend outdoors?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claudine, Nov 5, 2015.

1. claudine

claudine Well-Known Member

My Homer loves spending time outdoors. His favorite thing to do is to run around the garden. He enjoys chasing cats, chewing sticks and pinecones, snacking on the grass, digging holes and barking at people who dare to pass by our house.
    Right now, I hear him barking at someone, haha:)
    I think he spends at least 7 hours a day outside the house.

claudine, Nov 5, 2015
  2. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

Sadly my big dog spends most of his time outdoors. The small dogs spend most of their time indoors. I am still not into CONSISTENT walks with them but I am working on it. Of the three indoor dogs, one would like to spend more time outdoors and one would like live like a human indoors with her own bed. Make that two as Ginger has taken over a single bed I used to sleep in sometimes.

Winterybella, Nov 5, 2015
  3. claudine

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone spends adequate time outdoor when the weather was good. Winter is worst for him since he has short coat and gets cold fast. Sometimes, he doesn't even want to go outside to do his business :) and I had to push him out.

Summer, he is outside whenever I am outside. With a bad neighbor next door, I can't leave him out there alone. This past summer was bad with the fleas, and the drunken stone head neighbor, who kept throwing food over to my yard for Capone to eat.

IcyBC, Nov 5, 2015
  4. claudine

Winterybella - Homer would like to live like a human too. He has his own bed and often sits on his own chair when my family is having dinner, haha:) But he gets bored easily. I think outdoor activities are more fun for him.
    IcyBC - Homer gets cold fast too, but it doesn't stop him from going outside. He loves playing in the snow:)

claudine, Nov 5, 2015
  5. claudine

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Maybe we should have @Trellum making us dog clothes for our dogs @claudine :) I was looking at some dog clothes in the store, but I really don't like any of them yet plus the price was ridiculously high. I am not going to pay $30 dollars for a piece of dog cloth.

IcyBC, Nov 6, 2015
  6. claudine

Haha, we definitely should! Homer has two sweaters made by my mom and a coat, but they won't last forever. I think I should already start saving money, lol. Most dog clothes are ridiculously expensive:confused:

claudine, Nov 6, 2015
  7. claudine

thegrey1 Member

Bug is allowed to stay out for a few hours a day. He's a submissive little rascal who loves to dig and chase bugs. Gunner, on the other hand, is a different matter entirely. We've put him through training, but he is a crazy free spirit who will run down the street anytime he gets away from us. He will keep going until he is ready to come home! I always worry about his safety when this happens, so we can't ever let him out by himself. We have to walk him on a leash, straining and pulling to get away the entire time. He's a small dog, but very strong. I hope to be able to fence in our yard so he'll have more freedom.

thegrey1, Nov 7, 2015
  8. claudine

beth1414 New Member

Sadly, my dog spend much of his time inside! Those in my family tend to be oriented toward the indoors, which is a shame for our golden retriever. He loves going on hikes, and exploring bu he rarely gets a chance to do it. It's a shame because I think he would be much healthier with more exercise, and I think he would be happier generally also.

beth1414, Nov 7, 2015
  9. claudine

Hello, Beth1414!:) Do you have a garden? It would be great if your dog could play in a garden. As far as I know, Golden Retrievers are very energetic and need a lot of exercise:)

Thegrey1 - Bug is a super cute name for a dog:D What breed is he?

claudine, Nov 8, 2015
  10. claudine

KimmyMarkks Active Member

Its hard to say. I work outside of the house so I walk my dog in the morning and afternoon. I will usually play with her in the backyard after work. However, unfortunately during the week day she doesn't spend much time outdoors unless my father comes over to take her out. On the weekends she spays nearly all day outside. She plays in the back yard and we go for long walks or runs.

Sometimes I feel bad that she is indoors so much. But others times I would imagine what her life would be if she was still at the pound where I got her.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 18, 2015
  11. claudine

Don't feel guilty, KimmyMarkks. You do everything you can and I'm sure your dog is very happy:) If I had a job, I probably wouldn't walk Homer as often as I do now either.

claudine, Nov 25, 2015
  12. claudine

Djordje87 Active Member

He is a golden retriever so not enough if you ask him but too much if you ask me. He is always on the doors, crying and chewing his collar. I try to walk him two or three times a day when i can, all together 2 or 3 hours. I know it is good for them and it is good for me too. He is six and still very active outdoors so both of us are in good shape and looking healthy :). It is a good thing that we live near the river so during summer he is more otter then a dog.

Djordje87, Dec 2, 2015
  13. claudine

Corzhens Well-Known Member

We also have our dogs inside the house although we let them out in the garden for the call of nature - about 5 to 10 minutes each time. Our hyperactive Pipoy would be running around the front yard and backyard as if checking the entire property. But he would asked to be inside when he gets tired. That's the only exercise they get outside the house, 4 or 5 times in a day.

Corzhens, Dec 2, 2015
  14. claudine

Winterybella Well-Known Member

These days I don't like my dogs to be outside any length of time. I had a serious tick problem with my dogs recently and I know it had to do with the grass outside. I eventually bought something that seems to be working. I just heard my husband let one outside because she was barking and possibly disturbing him but I am going to get her right now and bring her upstairs.

I want them outside long enough just to have a good run around and spend some quality time outside with my bigger who's mostly outdoors.

Winterybella, Dec 3, 2015
Ask a Question