How Much Are You Willing to Pay For A Pet?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IcyBC, Nov 10, 2015.

1. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Buying a pet can be an expensive investment nowadays and this includes mixed breeds. For example, my Capone is a mutt, and his owner wanted $125 dollars for him. This amount is the same at adoption centers but less of a hassle since the owner was a backyard breeder. I negotiated with her and only paid half of what she asked for.

For AKC type of breeds, I have seen the amount of a certain type of dog could be more than $3,000 dollars. Can you believe that? I can't fathom the thought of a $3,000 dollars pet.

My questions are:

1) How much are you willing to pay for AKC type of pet? How much is your maximum?

2) How much are you willing to pay for a mutt? How high will you go?

IcyBC, Nov 10, 2015
  2. IcyBC

claudine Well-Known Member

As far as I remember, Homer costed around $250. My parents bought him. I couldn't afford buying such an expensive pet. I rarely have more than $100 in my bank account, lol;)
    In my country, you can get mutts for free.

claudine, Nov 12, 2015
    Winterybella and IcyBC like this.
  3. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Mutts used to be giving out for free, and people would really beg you to take them. That was about 10 years ago. Now every type of mutts have a price tag to them. I don't have the money to buy an AKC since I have no intention of breeding the dog, and if I have the money to buy one, I wouldn't either. That was just outrageous.

IcyBC, Nov 12, 2015
  4. IcyBC

We really wanted to have a Yorkie, because they're small, cute and hypoallergenic. But if I ever decide to get another dog, I think I'll consider adopting a mutt. Thinking about all those mutts in shelters breaks my heart:( Not to mention that I can't afford an AKC either.

claudine, Nov 12, 2015
  5. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I actually had to look up AKC. I can't afford those expensive breeds and when I can I would want that pet using the bathroom and not have to pick up after it. My three small girls are mutts and I got them all for free. Even my otherwise expensive Rottie which can cost a lot more than 250US (roughly $500 of my currency) was a gift. There are Rotties that are sold for as much as $500US I have heard.

So having received my dogs without cost it would be difficult to pay for one now.

Winterybella, Nov 12, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  6. IcyBC

lexinonomous Member

I don't see myself spending a lot of money on a dog. I think the most I would spend is around $100-200 and that's pushing it. I would prefer to go to an Animal Shelter to rescue a dog. I know there are adoption fees, but as far as I know they aren't very high. It'd be a nice way to save a doggy life as well. :)

lexinonomous, Nov 12, 2015
    Winterybella and IcyBC like this.
  7. IcyBC

I wish people stopped buying dogs and start rescuing those that live in shelters. They really need our help. Yesterday, my friend adopted a really cute, tiny dog. He's the sweetest little thing who waggs his tail almost constantly, because he found a home:)

claudine, Nov 17, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  8. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

@claudine Two years ago, we went to all the adoption events in our local area with the idea of adopting a puppy, but that didn't work out so we stopped. The process was complicated and I understood their purpose of doing it. For me, Capone needed rescuing from this backyard breeder (although she said it was a mishap) and he fitted in with our family's style so well. My only wish is that the shelters make it easier for people who want to adopt.

IcyBC, Nov 17, 2015
    Winterybella likes this.
  9. IcyBC

In my city, it's not complicated at all:) You just go to the shelter and choose a dog. Of course you can donate some money, too, but you don't have to do it if you can't afford it. The only problem is that most dogs there are old and people don't want to adopt them:(

claudine, Nov 17, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  10. IcyBC

Winterybella Well-Known Member

I rather understand this and it's a lot of what has to happen around here. Many dogs have to be rescued from the backyard breeders or careless dog owners who don't fix the dogs and then let them roam to streets and come back home pregnant. I have not had a lot of interaction with our local shelter but I think the process is quite straight forward with a small fee for the dog or cat.

Winterybella, Nov 17, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  11. IcyBC

KimmyMarkks Active Member

I prefer to adopt dogs. They typically charge around $150. I personally grew up adopting shelter pets so for me I just can't justify spending money on an animal. When I walk into the shelter I see all these animals that need loving homes, it makes me want to rescue all of them.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 17, 2015
    IcyBC likes this.
  12. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I think this was the same amount of money that the shelter wanted plus home inspection, yard inspection, interviewed and such. It was a lot more stress to go through to try to save a dog's life. I am a good person and my children love dogs. We just feel like that this process is unnecessary and being judged.

In the end though, we did a great service to get Capone! Since he was mixed with Pit Bull which are known for using in dog fight in the city that he was from!

IcyBC, Nov 25, 2015
  13. IcyBC

Oh wow. I've never had that before. I never had to go through an interview or a yard inspection! Mine was pretty easy. I think they asked us a few questions. But that was also because we had already adopted animals in the past.
    I guess when you buy a dog you don't have to go through this process? I am looking to adopt a dog in the near future and I hope that it was as simple as it used to be in the past.

KimmyMarkks, Nov 26, 2015
  14. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I didn't have to go through the interview or the inspection process. Capone's original owner said that it was an accident and she was just looking for a way to get rid of him, plus of course, making some money on this mistake. She was very nice though by even bathed him before handing him over to us. He turned out to be the perfect dog for our family.

IcyBC, Dec 2, 2015
  15. IcyBC

That is a sweet story. I'm glad he was able to have a second chance at a new home! Was his adjustment hard? I always wonder if older animals have a problem adjusting to new environments. I know puppies are usually pretty easy but I wonder if a dog came from a family if he or she would have a hard time adjusting to another family.

KimmyMarkks, Dec 3, 2015
  16. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

He is the easiest going dog we ever have in our lives, and we had many before him! He was only 7 weeks old when we got him and only had two accidents in the house the first two days! He is such a human magnet dog though @KimmyMarkks since he always want to be with human. He won't lie on the floor but preferred my lap. Now, he is 1 1/2 years old, he is bigger, so he lies next to me on the couch!

IcyBC, Dec 10, 2015
  17. IcyBC

Djordje87 Active Member

I have two dogs and one was a gift for my sister from her ex boyfriend. The other one is mine and I took her from an organization that was giving away homeless puppies. I believe people deserve to die by some major disaster. How heartless we are to give money and buy a dog, like it is a piece of furniture when we have so many dogs and puppies living in pounds waiting for someone's love. Not to mention that we have dogs in order to sell them, and buy them to show off or to take them on some competitions and win prizes. We are deeply sick in our souls if that exist at all. I am not a saint but neither am I a hypocrite. Tell me why is a mix breed worse then a puddle or Jack Russel? What is the reason to BUY a living thing? In my experience mix breeds are the best and the feeling you have when you know you saved it from starving or cold is priceless. If I have enough money I would have all these stray dogs and helped them to live and be loved. Everybody who pay for a dog should be ashamed. Shame on you!

Djordje87, Jan 2, 2016
  18. IcyBC

Corzhens Well-Known Member

In total, we have owned 5 dogs already, the 3 are still here while the 2 have passed away in 2007 and 2012. We treat our dogs like family and although I never buy dogs or pets (because so many friends are offering us puppies for free) we value our dogs so much that when abducted, I am willing to pay a million for the ransom. Last week, one of our dogs suffered from anal sac disease which was so painful according to the vet that Barbie couldn't use her hind legs. I was so scared because I thought she was paralyzed. And I thought to myself that I am willing to pay any amount just to make her well.

Corzhens, Jan 3, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  19. IcyBC

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I can feel how passionate you are to dogs, and I am not sure if you're scolding me for buying Capone, but if you are then you didn't read through the thread.

That's ok but I don't have any shame for buying my dog. I rescued him from a back yard breeder, and in the area where he was from, he would be putting in a ring for fighting when he grew up. This area is known for using Pit Bull in the most inhumane way, fighting to their dead.

Going through the shelter would have cost me the same, and actually it would be more for what I paid for Capone.

IcyBC, Jan 3, 2016
  20. IcyBC

Trellum Well-Known Member

I prefer to adopt, because there are so many dogs out there who need a home and I no longer feel well buying a pet to be honest, when I was younger I thought nothing about it, but now I do. Back in the day we'd pay a max of 250 for a dog.

Trellum, Jan 10, 2016
Ask a Question