How many times..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Evilsprinkles, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Evilsprinkles

Evilsprinkles Well-Known Member

...a day, do you walk your dog? It's a simple question, some might say too simple and 'filler' for a forum like this, but I'm not asking for that.

Earlier this evening, my partner spoke to his sister, and she was gobsmacked that we take our two dogs on long walks around the fields and meadows around the area we live in. I find it odd that people DON'T take their dogs on longer walks, but then I am aware that not all breeds require lots of exercise, or they can't handle it.

If you've got a pug for instance, that poor squish faced little pooch, isn't going to want an hour and a half romp around the fields.

Evilsprinkles, Sep 5, 2012
  2. Evilsprinkles

claudine Well-Known Member

I walk my little dog about 4 or 5 times a day. I know it's a lot and I also know that he doesn't need that, but he really loves his walks, he always jumps when I take his leash because he knows what will be next. We live near a big park, so it's always a fascinating adventure for Homer and I'm very relaxed when I'm walking him.

claudine, Sep 5, 2012
    Evilsprinkles likes this.
  3. Evilsprinkles

Pocs Well-Known Member

Depending on the weather, several times a day. Weather or not at least once. I have a disability which walking is about the only excerise I can do, I walk as much as possible. No problem with my dogs. They love walking and will always know when I'm going and wait by the door for their invite.

Pocs, Sep 5, 2012
  4. Evilsprinkles

kalasin Member

He gets one long walk (3-ish miles), one shorter walk (.75 miles), and time either outside or in the dog park daily. Occasionally no park or just one walk, but we try to make those days the exception, not the norm.

kalasin, Sep 5, 2012
  5. Evilsprinkles

Jessi Well-Known Member

We actually don't take him for walks at all. He has a whole backyard to his disposal. Occasionally when we're working out front with the cars or on the lawn, he'll be peaking out the front door and we'll bring him out on a leash, but that's rare.

Jessi, Sep 5, 2012
  6. Evilsprinkles

OhioTom76 Well-Known Member

We had to take all three of our dogs on walks separately because they would get all excited and start pulling us in different directions or getting the chains tangled up. So it was usually just once a day for each of them, but we would let them play out in the back yard chained up too - all of this weather permitting. We would take them for about a mile each, which is a trip around our block and back. The thing is though, I've read that pavement can be hard on a dogs legs and paws, especially when it's blistering hot outside, that they were meant to run on land not pavement.

There were some days, where they themselves would turn around and want to go back actually. Usually if it was super cold or vice versa.

OhioTom76, Sep 5, 2012
Ask a Question