How has your dog helped improve your health?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by trishgl, Jun 27, 2013.

1. trishgl

trishgl Well-Known Member

Numerous studies have shown that people who own dogs are less likely to get depressed and in fact develop a stronger immune system. In your life, how has your pet improved your health?

trishgl, Jun 27, 2013
    argon_0 likes this.
  2. trishgl

argon_0 Well-Known Member

Mishka's a funny dog. Well more that she makes me laugh for some reason. It's her personality which she uses to get some positive reaction. She has this cute smile and it's often seen when she's happy.
    I agree that a dog can help your mood and maybe even prevent people from suffering from depression.

argon_0, Jun 28, 2013
  3. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

Whenever I feel too stressed, I look for Homer and I pet him or play with him; his company always helps me to relax. And since stress is so harmful, I believe that thanks to Homer I'm healthier:)
    It's another reason to love our dogs.

claudine, Jun 28, 2013
  4. trishgl

trishgl Well-Known Member

I have in fact lost weight that I had been trying to shed for the past 2 years. Before my chow I had been going to the gym regularly but I had plateaued and my weight remained the same. When I started walking my dog every morning because she needed regular exercise I went down 2 dress sizes in 3 months. I also feel more calm. I have made our walking time my talking with chacha and prayer time as well. I also thank God daily for bringing chacha into my life. I feel spiritually recharged after our walks.

trishgl, Jul 3, 2013
  5. trishgl

zararina Well-Known Member

I also feel happy easily just seeing our dog or dogs. It gives a nice feeling that there is someone always there beside you no matter what. They are really cute and lovely to look at and share time with. :D

zararina, Jul 3, 2013
  6. trishgl

I forgot to mention my father - he used to live a sedentary lifestyle, he always spends a lot of time in his office and after work, he preferred to sit in front of TV. Since we bought Homer, he started walking him, I'm pretty sure that he has never walked so much in his entire life:D . So he is another person who is healthier thanks to Homer.

claudine, Jul 3, 2013
  7. trishgl

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

When I'm worried about something, I'll do housework and talk to my dog. He just looks at me attentively while I talk about my problems. I know that he has no idea what I'm saying, but it helps to get things off my chest. I'd rather vent to him than talk a person's ear off about my problems.

My dog is a therapist that weighs 10 pounds and is freaked out by the vacuum cleaner.

ACSAPA, Jul 3, 2013
  8. trishgl

Trellum Well-Known Member

Well, I think my dogs have improved my mood in general and have helped to keep my stress levels at bay. Which isn't easy considering I'm going tru a lot difficult things right now (health related). So I guess they have helped me a lot, just by petting them I feel more relaxed and happy in general. I heard that petting your pet really helps with stress and I must say that's very true!

Trellum, Oct 23, 2013
  9. trishgl

firelily99 Well-Known Member

Just getting out three times a day with the dog has improved my fitness and my mood, especially in the winter, is better as well.

firelily99, Dec 2, 2013
  10. trishgl

Trellum - a few years ago I was very unhappy, I was heartbroken and the only thing that was making me feel a little better was playing with Homer and stoking his little head. I'm not sure why it cheered me up, but it did.
    Firelily99 - I must say that I really hate walking my Homer in winter. He loves snow, so he wants to walk for hours and he is always so wet when we come back home, I worry that he might catch a cold. I'd much rather walk him when it's warm outside.

claudine, Dec 3, 2013
Ask a Question