How frequently do you deworm your dogs?

Discussion in 'Health & Nutrition' started by remnant, Jul 8, 2016.

1. remnant

remnant Well-Known Member

People are a bit conscious and timely when it comes to the issue of deworming. Even with high standards of hygiene, noone is completely safe from the myriads of platyhelminthes which are found in varied environments in spite of the recommended 3 month regular dosage intervals. Most dogs are victims of parasitic worms and require regular dosages of medicines to preserve their wellbeing. How often do you deworm your canines?

remnant, Jul 8, 2016
  2. remnant

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Our puppies undergo the usual deworming process administered by the vet. And it usually stops before the puppies reach one year old. But one of our dogs, the spitz named Tisoy, needed to be dewormed at least 3 times a year otherwise there would be worm in his feces and he would have difficulty releasing his body waste. Even the vet has no clear opinion because our 2 other dogs don't need deworming, they are both 4 years old while Tisoy is already 8 and turning 9 next week.

Corzhens, Jul 8, 2016
  3. remnant

GeeTee Member

I do not follow a precise timeline for deworming, but do my best to ensure my dogs remain healthy. Aside from what they ea,t I understand that ingesting just one tiny infected flea can cause dogs to have worm. I am vigilant when it comes to fleas as they play with other dogs. I'd say I deworm three, four, and sometimes five months apart. All depends on how they look and if I find them with fleas in short succession between baths.

GeeTee, Jul 8, 2016
  4. remnant

IcyBC Well-Known Member

I take my dog to the vet when he was a puppy, and they put him on a schedule of when he needs what. He is on medication for heart worm disease every month, and got all his necessary shots from the vet. They also checked for his feces when we brought him in, so I think it is about 3 times a year. He is now 2 years old, and he needs less shots.

IcyBC, Jul 15, 2016
Ask a Question