How far would you go to rescue a dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Melody, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Melody

Melody Well-Known Member

Whenever I see dogs running lose, injured, etc., it really pulls at my heartstrings. I want to do whatever possible to help them. But, I'm not sure I would be has brave as this woman.

This story is from the Ukraine. Evidently, it is a common sight to come across dogs running free. So, when this woman first saw this dog in the streets she didn't really think twice about it.

But, later, she found this poor dog had fallen into a sewer pipe. She volunteered to go down in the sewer despite the filth and the presence of rats.

With the help of another volunteer, they secured a catch pole around the dog's neck. Then, they lifted it out. It was injured, but safe. It took 30 minutes to pull the dog out.

http://www.care2.com/causes/brave-woman-descends-sewer-for-trapped-homeless-dog.html

I'd like to think I would do everything I could. But, yikes! Between the filth and the rats, I think I'd have to stay above ground. I'm glad they rescued the dog though.

Melody, Nov 17, 2012
  2. Melody

Nick87 Well-Known Member

I would have jumped in there to rescue the poor dog. If it was aggressive towards me, I'd probably try to keep a bit of a distance, but I'd still try to help it out.

Nick87, Nov 17, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
  3. Melody

argon_0 Well-Known Member

It's quite a sad story with a happy ending for this pooch.
    Sad because it sounds like dogs are neglected in this region and the city administrators don't seem to care.:(

Hats off to this wonderful woman who does care.:)

These days, I wouldn't have the energy to go down myself but I would certainly try to find a way to have this dog rescued.

argon_0, Nov 17, 2012
  4. Melody

claudine Well-Known Member

It's a beautiful story. I'm so glad it has a happy ending.
    I'm not sure why but since I've become Homer's owner, I'm more sensitive when it comes to dogs. I just can't stand the thought that dogs are suffering. It makes me so unhappy and angry. Usually, I'm a big coward. I'm weak. Just seeing an awful and dangerous rat would probably make me cry - but I'm sure I wouldn't run away. I'd do everything to help. This poor dog was very scared too.

claudine, Nov 18, 2012
  5. Melody

pafjlh Well-Known Member

I think its great that this woman was willing to risk her own life for the sake of the dog. Would I have done it? To be honest probably not, I would most definitely had called for help to get the dog out, and stayed there till help arrived. Then made sure the dog got out safe and sound, but I couldn't have gone into the pipe myself.

pafjlh, Nov 18, 2012
  6. Melody

haopee Well-Known Member

I would probably dive into the sewers and look for my dog or any dog for that matter. Back when I was just a kid, I've walked through floods just to transfer puppies to higher grounds and it was one of those things I am proud of... to help someone unconditionally. My dogs have given so much to me so it's just right to return the favor.

When it comes to these type of circumstances, I would definitely have my hands dirty. Although there's no denying that I will seeking someone for help too.

haopee, Nov 19, 2012
    argon_0 likes this.
Ask a Question