How does your dog tell you they want to play?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by Karen, May 17, 2012.

1. Karen

Karen Member

How does y'all's dogs tell you they are wanting to play? Tippy first will get his ball or stuffed dog he likes to play tug with and come over where he thinks i'll see if. Most time's i'm on the computer and not paying attention, and during those times when he can't get my attention he will get his ball and actually throw it at me. o_O If he get's real bored besides chasing his tail he'll toss his tennis ball around by grabbing onto a piece of thread he's pulled away from it and literally tossing it, then he'll go chase it and do it all over again, but mostly he's busy throwing it at me or whining.

Karen, May 17, 2012
  2. Karen

Jessi Well-Known Member

Buddy will bring you toys, too. He loves goofing off, so he'll go pull out his current favorite and throw it all over the room until you just can't resist getting up and playing with him, hehe. If you really don't feel like playing, he'll eventually bring it over and shove it in your hands so then you really, really have to play with him, ha.

Jessi, May 18, 2012
  3. Karen

MakingCents Well-Known Member

My dog brings whatever toys he wants to play with to us and then literrally throws them at us. He's gotten very good at throwing his ball so it lands in my lap if I'm sitting on the chair!

MakingCents, May 18, 2012
  4. Karen

King Browny Well-Known Member

Initially, when my dogs see me arriving (from work or travel) for them it’s playtime. They would run to me, jump around, put their paws on my chest, tongue-kissed me and all that stuff. It’s the same thing when they see me awake in the morning or anytime I would give them my attention. Their cue is seeing the playmate and for them its playtime.

King Browny, May 18, 2012
  5. Karen

zararina Well-Known Member

Same here. Every time I will come home, our dog will jump and move around and would bite anything near such as the doormat. Lol
    And that could be time for tug of war already.
    One sign of play time too is if our dog would run back and forth and jump of you.

zararina, May 18, 2012
  6. Karen

joycemcgregor Active Member

Sadie likes to play fetch, but not all of the time. When she wants to play she will bring the toy of choice and drop it at my feet, then stare at me. If I don't pay attentions, she will pick it up and run around like a mad dog, tossing the toy in the air and then bring it back and drop it at my feet again. This will go on until I finally break down and throw it for her. She gets so excited when I finally toss it and will play fetch until she drops!

joycemcgregor, Apr 4, 2015
  7. Karen

Trellum Well-Known Member

My girl is a bit of a boring girl, lol, she never likes to play inside the house, only outside the house! She loves playing around the plants, and her ball. The way for her to tell me she wants to play is by scratching and barking a little in the morning, that also means she wants to have breakfast and do her business.

Trellum, Apr 5, 2015
  8. Karen

claudine Well-Known Member

When my Homer wants to play, he sits next to his favorite toy and starts barking. He never gives up;) You can ignore him for half an hour and he will keep barking until you come to him and throw the toy;) Sometimes he bites me when he's bored.

claudine, Apr 5, 2015
  9. Karen

Oh lol!!!! So ignoring never works!! But does he like to play for too long? Like, he just barks until you throw the toy once then gives up? I hoe he doesn't like to play fetch for hours :O

Trellum, Apr 6, 2015
  10. Karen

He always wants to play fetch for hours:p It's the most energetic dog I've ever met! Fortunately, he's extremely greedy, so whenever I get tired of throwing him toys, I give him raw carrot slices. He takes them and runs away to his room.
    Does your dog like to eat alone too?

claudine, Apr 6, 2015
  11. Karen

Wow, how old is he again? I though he was already a senior? If he is, then I must say... wow!!! My old dog started to lose interest in playing once he turned 6, lol.

Trellum, Apr 7, 2015
  12. Karen

Homer is 8 years old, but he often acts like a puppy and he loves playing fetch:) I throw him toys after every walk. Otherwise, he'd be very disappointed.

claudine, Apr 7, 2015
  13. Karen

IcyBC Well-Known Member

Capone will bring a ball and drops it on my lap when he wants to play! If I ignore him, he will use his nose and presses the ball down on me. He is very insisting, and I usually ended up tossing the ball for him, at least once, unless I am doing something important, then I just take the ball and put it away. I told him to wait, and he gave up after whining a bit.

IcyBC, Aug 13, 2015
  14. Karen

You're lucky, IcyBC, my Homer never gives up;) He can bark and whine for hours. When he wants to play, nothing can stop him. He will stare at you, make as much noise as possible and bring you all his toys. Also, he will look like the most unhappy dog in the whole world, lol. He's great at emotional blackmail:confused:

claudine, Aug 13, 2015
  15. Karen

Tomi Active Member

My dog will sniffle up close to me and playfully start hopping around. I love the begging look on the face and find myself unable to resist the invitation to go and play.

Tomi, Aug 29, 2015
Ask a Question