How do you train your pet to sleep in his bed?

Discussion in 'Behaviour & Training' started by trishgl, Sep 17, 2013.

1. trishgl

trishgl Well-Known Member

My chow loves sleeping on the living room carpet. When she was just months old we got her a bed but she just kept peeing on it. Now that she's older we got her another bed but she still sleeps on the carpet. What can we do to encourage her to use her bed?

trishgl, Sep 17, 2013
  2. trishgl

zararina Well-Known Member

Maybe try to command her with an angry or authoritative voice. :p
    Honesty I have no idea since our dog would just sleep whenever he likes even he has a designated bed. :D

zararina, Sep 18, 2013
  3. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

Maybe put a blanket on the carpet and then, when she starts sleeping on the blanket, move it to her bed? It's possible that she doesn't like the smell of her bed. Or maybe she just has her habits. Homer sleeps wherever he wants to, usually he chooses our chairs.

claudine, Sep 21, 2013
  4. trishgl

ACSAPA Well-Known Member

My dog recently got a bed too and he still prefers to sleep in my bed. I kind of like doggy cuddle time in front of the TV so I don't really scold him.

ACSAPA, Sep 24, 2013
  5. trishgl

claudine Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that every dog who could choose whether he wants to have his own bed or to sleep with his owner, would choose his owner. Our dogs really love us:)

claudine, Sep 26, 2013
  6. trishgl

Lokitns Member

I make sure when we get a new bed to put their toys that each dog loves on it, to attribute their scent with it. And then when they get in there and laydown, sometimes I give them a treat ( a 1 or 2 bite treat ) so that they associate it with a good place.

Lokitns, Sep 29, 2013
Ask a Question